Thread: This works for me.

This works for me.

This is something I’ve been doing recently that I’ve found really helpful and I thought someone else might get something out of it.
    The first step is to recognise that there are two parts of the mind involved in anxiety – the subconscious and the conscious.
    I try to take the view that my subconscious is responsible for my symptoms – it starts them and it ends them. My conscious mind cannot start or end the symptoms – it can, however, amplify or dull those symptoms. For the purposes of this exercise, I consider my subconscious as irrational…and why wouldn’t I? My subconscious makes my body react in an extreme manner to what are, essentially, minor triggers.

The 2 things I take from this so far:

Subconscious = irrational.
    Conscious = rational.

I have very little control over my subconscious but almost complete control over my conscious mind. I have to recognise and believe that for this method to be successful. So, I treat my subconscious mind as if it were an irrational person. When my symptoms start, I (my conscious mind) has some choices:

-If I listen to my subconscious mind and believe that something is genuinely wrong…I become more anxious and my symptoms get worse.

-If I get angry with my subconscious mind, I become more anxious and my symptoms get worse (it becomes like a shouting match, with my subconscious making my symptoms worse in order to be ‘heard’).

-If I attempt to calm my subconscious by being rational, I have a good chance of feeling calmer and my symptoms improve.

-If I ignore my subconscious (and the physical symptoms), I remain calm and my symptoms improve.

For me, the best visualisation I can muster is viewing my subconscious mind and the symptoms as a petulant 4 year old who’s having a tantrum. I remain calm and do not engage with it….knowing that it will shout itself out and eventually become aware that it isn’t going to get the reaction it’s after. Sometimes I view it with amusement (ie “Hahaha…poor little thing, it’s getting all worked up over nothing”).
    Like I said, this has worked for me – but it does take some practice. My first reaction, since I started suffering with anxiety has been to ‘buy into’ the physical symptoms. I believed that if I felt as though something was physically wrong then there MUST be something physically wrong. THAT was my first mistake. If you are able to separate yourself from your subconscious (and therefore your symptoms) and recognise that sometimes your body does get it wrong…then you have won half the battle.

Remember – your symptoms are the tantrum your subconscious mind has to get your attention. Ignore it, and it’s more likely to give up and less likely to keep trying. I hope that all makes sense and I hope someone finds it useful….
    Last edited by Newtothis; 18-02-10 at 07:51. Reason: Wrong word

Re: This works for me.

great post, and you are so right, i do the same sort of thing , but wright it all down,

xx

diaizpam 5mg, as needed.

come on panic attack do your worse,, you can knock me down,, BUT I WILL GET BACK UP AGAIN.

Excellent advice. You are SO right. It does take practice but it can be done. It is all about the subconscious mind and one's conscious mind getting on top to beat the negative, irrational subconscious thoughts and resulting anxiety.
    Thankyou
    John

Well put Newtothis.

Thread Information