Thread: Feel as if I have swallowed a football and its got stuck!

Feel as if I have swallowed a football and its got stuck!

About 3 weeks ago I had a annoying virus that gave me a bunged up and slightly runny nose and very very dry throat and bit of a cough. Nothing terrible just annoying and I kept choking on food when i swallowed and felt s if I had to drink to get food down.

this improved as my dry throat went away but still feel as if things are sticking a bit when I swallow but for past week I have also had a feeling somewhere down gullet as if I have swallowed something that hasn't gone down - very liket he sensation you get in your throat if you try and stop yourself crying ( everyone try this please! then they will know what I am describing).

Of course since this started I have been obsessing everytime I eat anything and now this sensation has started its all I can concentrate on.

I am due to see gasto in two weeks for ibs and know that if I mention this to him he will probably suggest an endoscopy. I have hiatus hernia for past 20 years and on tablets and my last endoscopy was nearly 4 yrs ago.

Part of me is so fed up with endless hospital tests as I have lots of things genuinly wrong with me ( crippled spine - so in lots of pain). Part of me wants to get the endoscopy so that I can stop worrying but other part is dreading another test. Had a colonsocpy in summer and had 3 mri scans with one more in a week.

I am alternating between throat or oseophagus cancer to thyroid ( I am hypothyroid) pressing on my throat!!!!!!!!

I know lump in throat is common with anxiety but if it is this then I shouldnt have the feeling as if I need to drink to get food down as well which worries me even more.

help

Re: Feel as if I have swallowed a football and its got stuck!

Sorry to hear you are experiencing so much anxiety. The sensation in your throat sounds like 'globus', I suffer with it myself and it's a well known symptom of anxiety - but you're probably fed up having people tell you that. I notice you are hypothyroid as well, as I am, and think this causes a lot of symptoms that the docs still are not aware of. I started with terrible acid reflux after I started the Thyroxine, but my doctor said it couldn't be connected as Thyroxine was something which occured naturally in the body. I pointed out that the Thyroxine I was taking was manufactured, not natural, but he wouldn't listen to me. I hope your doctor is helpful and is able to do something to put your mind at rest.

Thread Information