Thread: breathing while lying down

breathing while lying down

When I lie down for awhile, or when I first get up in the morning, I get a weird rattling/vibration upon taking breaths in. It only happens when I take a deep breath, at the end of the breath, and goes away after a few breaths or if I cough. Its been going on for a few weeks, and really starting to worry me that it is fluid in my lungs or something more serious!!

Anyone ever experience anything like this? I can exercise without this sensation and have no troubles working out at all.

Re: breathing while lying down

It can be a number of things i have had a problem like this as well but for me it was acid reflux.

Im sure its nothing serious and somthing that can be tarken care of by a doctor.

Maybe you should consider seeing your gp about this im sure it can be fixed and put your mind to rest.

Take care and good luck.

When you want it
    It goes away too fast
    Times u hate it
    It always seems to last

Thank you for the reply. I don't think its reflux as it only happens while lying down or relaxing on the couch, only when I breath in and there is no pain associated.
    Anyone else???

Hi Mama Erin,

I replied to your original post about this a week or so ago (think you called it "chest congestion when lying down" so if you search on chest congestion you should find my reply). Anyhow, in short, I've had exactly the same as what you describe for the last year. I'd been to the doc a few times but he could never hear it with the stethoscope because it only happens after I've been lying down. The upshot was that he eventually sent me for a chest xray because I was getting myself worked up about a couple of really bad things it could be. Went back to the doc this week and chest xray was completely normal. I still don't know what is causing the rattling but hopefully it puts your mind at rest a bit that I've got the same and my xray was normal.
    As an aside to the person who had acid reflux...I have awful acid reflux and have had for ages...so maybe there is something in that? Reflux is worse when you lie down and can aspirate stomach acid into your lungs so perhaps that's what's happening to you and i too?

Thread Information