Thread: IBS study, participants needed

IBS study, participants needed

Hello everyone,

I am a final year student in osteopathic medicine at Kingston University (greater London) and am currently writing a research project about Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

I am looking for participants to take part in my study. Participants must meet the following criteria :

- IBS diagnosed by a GP
    ⁃ Aged between 18 and 35
    ⁃ Male or female
    ⁃ Presenting no other known physical illnesses (except fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic pelvic pain, or diabetes)
    ⁃ Living in Surrey
    ⁃ Has not taken medication recently nor the need to take medication during the duration of the study (apart from contraceptive pill).
    ⁃ Not followed by any chiropractic nor professional healthcare
    ⁃ No recent surgery

The study would include one free osteopathic treatment per week for one month followed by one treatment every 2 weeks for 2 months in aim to decrease the symptoms caused by IBS.
    The study will take place in 2 different clinics (one in Ewell east and the other one in Kingston University Penrhyn Road campus) regarding your location and facilities.

Please contact me if you are interested or if you would like to have further informations.
    MP on this website
    or +447448436741 (text only)

Kind regards,

Miss A Choucha

Re: IBS study, participants needed

I am far too ancient for your study but meet the other criteria.

Am interested to know what these treatments would actually comprise and would you be interested in achieving a "cure" or managing IBS through regular osteopathic treatments? I am aware that osteopathy isn't recognised as being effective according to NICE guidelines.

Re: IBS study, participants needed

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I am far too ancient for your study but meet the other criteria.

Am interested to know what these treatments would actually comprise and would you be interested in achieving a "cure" or managing IBS through regular osteopathic treatments? I am aware that osteopathy isn't recognised as being effective according to NICE guidelines.
    Hi Pulisa,

The treatment would include manipulations on the middle spine (called lower thoracic spine from T9 to L2), on the sacrum (bone located at the end of your spine) and visceral techniques on your intestines (guts and colon). These combined techniques will mainly aim to relieve or decrease the symptoms perceived on a daily basis and make life easier for the patient. Unfortunately, this study will not aim to cure IBS as, so far, research have shown IBS does not have any treatment and remain as a lifelong condition.
    Indeed it is not according NICE guidelines but many research have proven that visceral techniques were effective in relieving the perception of the symptoms of IBS.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me I would be happy to help in any way

Thread Information