Thread: Side effects of donating blood?

Side effects of donating blood?

Hi everyone,

My HA has been almost non-existent the past few weeks, had no concerns etc and thought it was time for me to try and donate blood. So, today I went to my appointment, felt totally fine and no worries. Got the pin prick test to check my iron levels etc and got the all clear and ate some food before being asked to go the chair and get comfortable. Everything was fine, a little nervous I guess but nothing too much. I ended up donating the entire amount and felt fine. The nurse took the needle out and covered the wound with a plaster and told me nicely "You can go and get some food and drink now" so I sat up, and boom. I fainted When I came around, there was three blood nurses around me telling me what had happened and I was quite surprised I'd fainted aha. Anyways, they reassured me and I am at home now feeling much much better and drinking plenty of fluids and eating regularly to help my body recover. However, for some reason, my HA has came back and I'm scared I'm going to faint again I know I should be fine, and know if I feel lightheaded again to lay back etc, but I'm worried I'll faint in my sleep

Anyone else donated blood?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Side effects of donating blood?

Well done for donating blood. As far as I'm aware you can't "faint" while asleep. If you get light-headed you know what to do however, so you will be A-OK

Never Surrender, Comrade

Re: Side effects of donating blood?

Quote Originally Posted by unicorndusy View Post
    I'm worried I'll faint in my sleep

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information