Thread: Need help with decreasing dose-or help for sexual side effects

Need help with decreasing dose-or help for sexual side effects

I’m so upset. I began celexa over 2 months ago and it helped immediately with the anxiety. I am on 20 mg. It works well, but I have since lost my ability to orgasm with my husband. It is so upsetting to me that I made the mistake of trying to skip the med for a few nights to hopefully have a good experience with him. It didn’t help, and today I feel horrible. Like sick to my stomach and a headache. I know it’s likely from not taking the med.

I am going to go ahead and take a pill now. How long before the withdrawal feeling goes away after taking my normal dose?

Also, if I want to decrease my dose, what’s the best way to do that without having withdrawals? My dr is out of the office on maternity leave so I can’t get a response from her and nobody else in the office is willing to give me advice right now and are telling me to just continue until she returns and can advise me.

I don’t want to wait.

Re: Need help with decreasing dose-or help for sexual side effects

Everyone is different so it could take a up to a week for the side effects to go away from the missed doses.

According to the Citalopram survival guide:

"If you reduce your dose by more than 5mg in two weeks, you may be at risk from withdrawal effects"

One method to decrease dose is to alternate 20 / 15 for a few weeks then 15 mg for a few weeks, then alternate 15 / 10 for a few weeks, then stay at 10mg.

I'm very sensitive to meds and I had a slight headache/upset stomach when I decreased my dose from 15mg to 10mg. So I took 12.5mg the next few nights which helped with upset stomach and slight headache that went away after a few days.

Thread Information