Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dull pain around left breast, back and arm(pit)

Dull pain around left breast, back and arm(pit)

Hey everyone, I'm new to here but have been checking out a lot of messages before. I'll give a little background information that might be related and it would mean a lot to me if anyone could help. I'm sorry this is so long but I wanted to mention everything that might be related.

After getting sick a year ago, I got pretty heavy emetophobia which I've been able to calm down a little, but I still worry. This increased my already existing anxiety, and ever since those weeks of not being able to do anything I've had a lot of gas, constipation, less appetite and pain in my (always left) chest. I don't go to the doctors quickly because I'm scared to go and they barely ever do something. I kind of self-diagnosed (this is bad I know) myself with IBS because I recognize the symptoms and if it was something worse, I would've realized that in the passing months I think.

Anyways, I'm 19 and have been going to college for one week now. This, too, caused anxiety of course, but I have the feeling that's under control most of the time. Ever since last Friday, though, I started to feel this kind of dull pain in my armpit/left breast.

I've had pain in my left chest before but the armpit pain was new. I try to never search for symptoms, but I did anyway and it just made me nervous. The pain started to shift towards my left arm and also my back/shoulder. It's all on the left side. My mom said it could be from lifting my bag and that I injured a muscle, but that should leave eventually and not shift around like this, I feel.

And anxiety wouldn't cause it to be in only these places, right? My arm feels like I've been overusing it (which might be true but I don't know for sure), and the pain in my back is almost slightly burning. My left breast feels dull, as if it's bruised, and my armpit feels uncomfortable at times as well. Some places are tender to the touch. It goes down to my wrist as well, I feel.
    What could this be? Is this really anxiety related? I mentioned this pain and my symptoms of gas/constipation and she just kinda ignored the whole armpit/chest/side/back pain and gave me some medicine for constipation. I'm not really happy with the fact that the other symptoms got 'ignored' cos they scare me out, but like I said, I don't like going to the doctor because I don't want to complain.
    Is it just a really random mix of all kinds of symptoms? Did I lift my bag too much? I'm scared because I have no idea what it could be. I feel like constantly touching the places that hurt, and idk what else to do.
    Can someone please help me or does anyone recognize these symptoms?

Re: Dull pain around left breast, back and arm(pit)

How do you wear your bag? Is it on one shoulder or cross body? What is your posture like..do you slouch a bit? Maybe the pain could be a symptom of what is going on in your stomach.. I know the pain from gas can spread to the upper body It could also be hormonal or anxiety related.. it's so hard to say as you seem to have a lot of things going on that could be causing your problems right now. The burning and ache to me sound muscular though! Are you feeling it as soon as you wake or as the day goes on? Are you not used to sitting for long periods i.e. at college and it could be you're sitting awkwardly during your classes?

Quote Originally Posted by thestruggle View Post
    How do you wear your bag? Is it on one shoulder or cross body? What is your posture like..do you slouch a bit? Maybe the pain could be a symptom of what is going on in your stomach.. I know the pain from gas can spread to the upper body It could also be hormonal or anxiety related.. it's so hard to say as you seem to have a lot of things going on that could be causing your problems right now. The burning and ache to me sound muscular though! Are you feeling it as soon as you wake or as the day goes on? Are you not used to sitting for long periods i.e. at college and it could be you're sitting awkwardly during your classes?
    I've realized I wear my bag mostly on my left side, but I never had problems with that when I did it before. I try not to slouch but it happens sometimes. It's there all the time pretty much, I sleep sitting up a little and this morning I woke up with a little pain in my lower back. I am used to sitting for long periods of time but maybe not like I do in college? It's just confusing me because it's only my left side. Anxiety is probably not making it any better... Thanks for replying by the way!

If you've only just started wearing this particular bag or you're carrying more college stuff it could be putting a bit of pressure on that side and affecting your posture without you realising.. You might be tensing when you're sitting at college, where you're in different chairs than you're used to at home and you're having to listen and learn etc. If you're finding the pain gets worse as the day goes on it probably is to do with increasing tension in the muscles from either your bag weighing you down, the way you're sitting or just good old anxiety making your chest hurt..

Hey so I'm just coming back to this. I've had some pain in my arm for a day or so after this and then it left, but the pain kind of going from my back to my side and breast didn't leave. It keeps coming back in minor or slightly heavier (never extreme) form. I turned my mattress around but that hasn't seemed to help, and it's still there when I haven't carried a heavy bag.
    Today I woke up with it being pretty apparent again and it hasn't left since. My left side and chest are sensitive again.

Anyone ideas about this?

I had this a short while ago and it turned out to be trapped wind.
    My pain moved around to the shoulder and different parts of the chest.
    It took over a week to go, but it has left me with ongoing twinges.

See I have very similar symptoms. All left side. I've been to the doctor numerous times worrying it was cardiac or something only to be told "your blood work, EKG, etc. all came out perfect! Better than mine!" and /still/ fret about it. In my case, when I'm thinking rationally, I think it's related to my work as a waiter. I often carry a large amount of stuff awkwardly on my left arm. It could also be that and the fact that I swallow air a lot (a symptom of my anxiety and the improper breathing that ensues.) I also have terrible posture.

I think, if your doctor has ruled out anything concerning it's probably something along those lines. A combination of different things and maybe your anxiety amplifying symptoms.

I was getting pain in my left arm and chest and shoulder and jaw and I was SO sure it was something terrible (and still worry to this day). But in my mind, I know it's nothing. See, I put pressure on different parts of my arm and chest and what not and found certain points that hurt when touched. Damaged muscles from improper use over a long time. And the jaw? I have a wisdom tooth coming in.

I've since been focusing on ways to avoid such muscle strain with some success (the symptoms are nowhere near as severe) but it's taking a long time to recover from the damage. It may take time for you too.

Hiya. I had very similar problem and was diagnosed with GERD. Have you tried anti-acids? I am not a doctor and would not want to claim this is what you have, and just offer one more thing to consider x

Quote Originally Posted by Karahi View Post
    See I have very similar symptoms. All left side. I've been to the doctor numerous times worrying it was cardiac or something only to be told "your blood work, EKG, etc. all came out perfect! Better than mine!" and /still/ fret about it. In my case, when I'm thinking rationally, I think it's related to my work as a waiter. I often carry a large amount of stuff awkwardly on my left arm. It could also be that and the fact that I swallow air a lot (a symptom of my anxiety and the improper breathing that ensues.) I also have terrible posture.

I think, if your doctor has ruled out anything concerning it's probably something along those lines. A combination of different things and maybe your anxiety amplifying symptoms.

I was getting pain in my left arm and chest and shoulder and jaw and I was SO sure it was something terrible (and still worry to this day). But in my mind, I know it's nothing. See, I put pressure on different parts of my arm and chest and what not and found certain points that hurt when touched. Damaged muscles from improper use over a long time. And the jaw? I have a wisdom tooth coming in.

I've since been focusing on ways to avoid such muscle strain with some success (the symptoms are nowhere near as severe) but it's taking a long time to recover from the damage. It may take time for you too.
    I too find points that hurt when I press on them, I've kind of told myself it's muscle-related and that it just hurts because I use it, have a bad posture (though I try to work on it). It might be this, or a combination of this and something else, worsened by anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by jj82 View Post
    Hiya. I had very similar problem and was diagnosed with GERD. Have you tried anti-acids? I am not a doctor and would not want to claim this is what you have, and just offer one more thing to consider x

I've been looking at GERD and IBS for a long time because I recognize a lot of symptoms. I've had anti-acids in the past, but I had different symptoms then (a few I still have today like belching, constipated) but I'm not even sure if this is the same problem as it was back then, and if the anti-acids weren't partly placebo.
    I'm just driving myself crazy with this.

I get this, I was told it was due to tensing up muscles, during an anxiety attack, I don't know why but I tend to tense up my left side more, and i tend to lean in when sitting at desk on that, side, mine got so bad, when I was first diagnosed with anxiety that I was sure I was having a heart attack, but it were heart attack related, you would also be breaking out in a cold sweat and not able to catch your breath and have fatigue and flu like symptoms and pain between shoulder blades and arms feeling heavy, that is the most common symptoms for women.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information