Thread: Enclosed space, flying, lifts, locked in and more

Enclosed space, flying, lifts, locked in and more

Hi,

Just wanted to ask about people's fears/phobias etc.

I will not fly now, won't go in a lift, I hate enclosed spaces, won't drive on motorways etc. Hate being anywhere I cannot leave easily, petrified of being locked in somewhere I.e a public toilet, a room.

All of these have started because of my anxiety and panic attacks.

It rules my life. Believe it or not I still work full time, and try to carry out my job which is very stressful at times. I'm married with a little boy and a rather crazy spaniel.

I know I let this win 95% of the time but I don't know where to start to make this all better. I listen to other sufferers and think how do you do that and feel like me???????

I'm now starting to run out of fears and phobias that I can have!!! Any ideas or anything you can share to help???

Kendra x

Re: Enclosed space, flying, lifts, locked in and more

Hello Kendra

I have just joined this site today, and I was reading your message, I thought it was me to wrote this! I don't go in lifts, Tunnels, planes, trains, buses, back seat of 3 seater cars. Ive tried many different things and still looking for ways to help. How are you doing?

Natalie

Hi Hun,

Pretty much the same! All of the above still frightened of! I thought I was alone in all of this! Feel like a failure most of the time. I think the anxiety/panic has got me like this!!

How are you doing? Xxxx

I struggle with elevators, I'm so paranoid they are going to get stuck and I can't get out. I'm also terrified of flying or being in a car on a long road trip.

I have a fear of flying and what has helped me was to take a serious and honest look at what the real issue is. For me it is a combination of fear of death and a sense that I don't deserve to be happy in life. When I was younger I didn't have a fear of flying but now as an adult I feel I have so much more to lose. I have a chance at a new job opportunity, plan to start a family, have several best friends getting married and so much to look forward to but I have this crazy belief that I don't deserve to get to experience and enjoy all of these things and that karma or universe etc will take it away from me. So flying has minimal risk but if something goes wrong the consequence is death my worst fear so I fear crashing will happen to me as some sort of cosmic punishment for enjoying things in life. Once I understood this I was able to think in a more logical way. Realistically I know the universe is not out to get me other people get to live happy lives and go on amazing vacations and I deserve to do that too. Once I get past that I don't feel as afraid of flying anymore because odds of crashing are minimal.

Thread Information