Thread: Hyperflexia, help!

Hyperflexia, help!

I have tested my knee reflexes and when I hit my knee it seems like I have brisk reflexes. My knee shoots straight up. Not a little movement but shoots straight up. Does anybody else have this or does this mean upper motor syndrome, like m.s etc..... like I just read on Google. Please help me.

Re: Hyperflexia, help!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP12 View Post
    You can't test your own reflexes. And, even if you could, you wouldn't know what to look for. Stay off Google.
    ^^^THIS!^^^

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Let me rephrase. Has any neurologist told you that you have hyperflexia and it be benign.?

Reflexes occur on a spectrum from normal to abnormal. Only a doctor can make the call. Brisk reflexes can be entirely normal, especially if symmetrical. Brisk reflexes are not synonymous with hyperreflexia.

Are you upset with me davep12?

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

I watched you tube videos of knee reflexes . It seems some people knees are slower to react and there knees don't move so much where mine come straight up quick. Maybe it depends on how hard you hit them. What's a brisk reflex? Isn't that the same as hyperflexia? Upper motor neurons disease doesn't always have to be serious right? Wish I didn't know so much. Ignorance is bliss

Are you self-testing or did a doctor do it?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

The Internet is ruining you, Emanticoff. Googling, watching vids, self-testing, going on forums... Don't do this to yourself. There is a spectrum of so-called normal to abnormal reflexes, as Melfish says. It's highly likely yours is normal...but then you self-test and come up with all sorts of sinister illnesses.

Your problem is anxiety and panic. Until you accept that fact, look it in the eye and face it, this cycle will unfortunately continue.

Never Surrender, Comrade

This was just posted by a person with UMND/PLS on the ALS boards:

"There really is a normal range of reflexes, some could be considered "hyper", but which are not pathological. Many healthy people have reflexes on the hyper side. It's only when there is a pattern of abnormal and uneven reflex spread, strength and movement findings that a neurologist will become concerned."

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

* Not that I've been lurking on the ALS boards, mind >.<

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by melfish View Post
    Not that I've been lurking on the ALS boards, mind >.<

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thanks melfish. That put in better perspective for me

Thread Information