Thread: Psychology therapy due to end

Psychology therapy due to end

Hi

Any thoughts or experiences greatly appreciated.

I’ve had cbt and completed a mindfulness course, unfortunately long story short my anxiety got worse, I self referred for cbt again, as you can after 6 months, after being assessed they informed me this time round cbt wouldn’t have helped. So I went on a list for psychology sessions, I see a clinical psychologist every 3 weeks and have done for nearly a year, I waited a year on the waiting list..
    The sessions I’m sure have run their course and I’m certain I will be soon told there are no more...it’s helped to find out more about my mental health ie I suffer with trauma , and to try deal with this, I have never found it easy to talk about what happened,

Anyone been told no more sessions and I’m not sure what I can do after that ...I find it difficult in groups , not too bad one to one...I’m isolated at home and have some symptoms of agoraphobia ....I live alone ...

The psychologist hasn’t said the sessions will end but I understand they can’t go on forever, its just what plans I can have when they end , I kinda get the feeling now she is trying to close me down ....are there any suggestions I can make to her for me after we finish our sessions...

Any comments appreciated xx

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Psychology therapy due to end

I think part of your therapy should include how you feel about the ending of treatment. Your therapist should prepare you for this eventuality rather than suddenly declare its ending. There may be the possibility of extending your course of therapy if you feel unprepared or unable to cope on your own. A therapist should never leave a patient feeling abandoned.

If and when it does end, you should be given time to assess how you feel, then a follow-up review. But as I said in the beginning, you should broach this issue with therapist and discuss your feelings openly.

All the best.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thank you for the reply KK
    Appreciate it.

I’m seeing her less often, once per month now ..no mention as yet of her ceasing to see me.

Thanks again.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Not sure what structure your therapy involves but perhaps say you've been thinking about the cessation of your sessions. She should get you to expand on that and express your feelings and thoughts. Think it's important you're not suddenly told that "it will be your last session next month". You should be prepared and given coping mechanisms for dealing with the void it will leave in your life.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Yes agree KK

Thank you for replying. Appreciate it

Thread Information