Thread: Symptoms Of Dizziness And Spaciness

Question Symptoms Of Dizziness And Spaciness

hello everyone - i am new to this forum and am hoping that some of you may be able to shed some light on my situation. i have dealt with anxiety for years, and after the birth of my daughter several years ago, experienced terrible post-partum anxiety. i have never been officially diagnosed with panic disorder, but have visited an amazing therapist here and there during particularly stressful, challenging times and both my dad and brother tend towards anxiety. Anyway, almost a year ago i began having these 'episodes' that include 'dizziness' (not room spinning, but an almost light headed feeling with a wooshing sensation when i turn my head, etc), sometimes with a feeling of pressure in my eyes and face/head accompanied by a spacey feeling - almost feels like the sensation when you hold your breath for an extended period of time..i don't feel that i am as sharp cognitively, a more difficult time following/concentrating on things,and visually, things look slightly diffrent - soo difficult to describe...the thing is, when i have these episodes, it is not related to feeling particularly anxious or panicky - they just come out of nowhere, sometimes daily, sometimes i'll go for several days without one. I have had mri's, ct scans, an ekg, visited the ent, everything you can imagine and everything comes back normal. It seems that anxiety could not possibly cause these symptoms...could it? and without feeling like i'm anxious when i have them? these episodes last anywhere from 15-25 minutes at a time and of course i end up feeling very anxious when i get them. they start with a strange feeling - almost like a hiccup in my brain - i know this all sounds so bizarre, but like i said, it is very difficult to articulate. iwonder if anyone ever feels these sensations without obvious anxiety...and if so, why? i so hope to receive some feedback as i am so frustrated, saddened, and frankly afraid. my best to all of you.

Re: Symptoms Of Dizziness And Spaciness

i have been suffering this since the age of 13. usually comes around when its the winter periods as i am most anxious then but shortly after giving birth to my daughter i suffered this too. I getit sometimes now stil and for no reason, i can be driving along and something will jjust not look quite right and that triggers it off. i then panic and every other symptom of not concentrating, spaced out, sounds are funny, sights seem funny, dizziness, feel like im floating or in a dream all appears. if i ignoreit and thought distract it eventually disappears, but why was it there in the 1st place? who knows, my psychiatrist and many more ive seen dont and nor do i but its horrible. i used to think i was dying when i got this. Apparently its called derealization/depersonalization. i think alot of people suffer it and with the help of medication and support from family or doctors it can be cured. i have been cured having a good year with none of these symptoms but they do seem to come back and out of the blue. I wish u well as i do us all, and good luck with combatting this horrible feeling. x

Re: Symptoms Of Dizziness And Spaciness

I have had DP/DR on and off for almost 3 years now ( and its been anything from mild to severe) but at long last I am getting so that I am not as scared of it and the feeling is getting less. I know I have posted this link before on this site but I will post it again for you as I know exactly how this feels and it may help put your mind at rest a bit. I know it has helped me.
    http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/deper...alisation.html
    Infact the whole site is good for anxiety sufferers. I have even got the book, "At last a life" and when I read it, I felt like the writer had written the book just for me as everything he said made perfect sense and I had experienced most of what he talks about in it.
    I hope the link helps.
    Shirley

Thread Information