Thread: Shortness of Breath

Exclamation Shortness of Breath

Fairly new 29 year old women here but am looking for some answers (and mostly just understanding). I began developing anxiety symptoms after my 24 year old brother passed away this last December from a massive heart attack (which we later found out was caused due to drug use). It was totally unexpected since we were unaware of the drug use, happened in the home I still reside in (even though I was already at work when my Mother found him), and even 8 months later I'm still really struggling from it. I've had a full cardiology workup (multiple EKGs, ECHO, Treadmill Stress Test all of which came back as normal), breathing test (which the Doctor said showed symptoms of textbook anxiety), and a handful of MRIs and CTs (due to chest pain, shortness of breath all of which also came back as normal). I've had a ton of anxiety symptoms such as panic attacks, dizziness, shortness of breath (which can range from weeks at a time to just an hour and had no particular "cause" that I can notice), heart palpitations, and fatigue.

My doctor has placed me on .5 mg of Ativan as needed for the anxiety and for the most part in the past few weeks I haven't needed it as I've been working really well through my anxiety symptoms.

Then all of a sudden today I had a pretty big emotional breakdown. Yesterday was one of those "firsts", my first birthday without my brother here, and the loads of emotion involved in that seemed to trigger a spiral of sadness I've been on since yesterday. After a pretty significant cry about an hour ago the shortness of breath has returned (it had been absent for weeks) and of course I'm freaked out by it.

I guess my question is, is the shortness of breath, especially after something that emotional normal when you have GAD? After having all the tests I've had is it safe to assume that it is "just" anxiety?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    "Tough girls come from New York. Sweet girls, they're from Georgia. But us Kentucky girls, we have fire and ice in our blood. We can ride horses, be a debutante, throw left hooks, and drink with the boys, all the while making sweet tea, darlin'. And if we have an opinion, you know you're gonna hear it." - Ashley Judd

Re: Shortness of Breath

I would say that it is safe to assume it is your anxiety. I'm sorry about your brother. I know after my father died, the first Christmas, the first of his birthdays when he was no longer here, and many other things would be very hard. He passed away in 2001 and I still think about him every day. I also take Ativan.

Re: Shortness of Breath

hey hunni! I think if anyone as good reason to be suffering anxiety then it as to be you!! What you have been through is more than enough and its no wonder you are suffering so terribly. It sounds to me like grief anxiety which is what I was diagnosed as having in 2008 after the death of my beloved Nan. Your brothers death, because of his age & the circumstances make it all the more tragic and thats exactly what you are trying to deal with here....a tragedy!!
    Yes! Breathlesness is one of the main symptoms when dealing with anxiety. I have suffered with this in the past, sometimes on a grand scale and it seems to be centred around panic. Even the most grounded people can experience these shocking symptom so theres no need to worry on that score either. Panic can be triggered by the smallest things, much smaller than what you are dealing with. I can only suggest that you go back to your GP and if you havent already, ask to be referred to a phsycologist or CBT therapist. If anyone is an ideal candidate for such intervention, then it is you!! My partner had CBT therapy a while ago and it did him the world of good. I spoke to a Psychologist and he diagnosed me with grief anxiety and explained what my symptoms meant. We also did a course called stress pac but i think that for you, talking to someone on a one to one level where they can help you see light of your situation is the way forward.
    Good Luck with your recovery and I hope your grief soon subside.
    Take care and let us know how you get on xxx

Thread Information