Thread: What do people talk about?

What do people talk about?

When I'm at work I hear other people chatting, from people who are best mates, to those who have just met and the conversations just flow, no awkward silences, just a chatty conversation.

I can't do that, I've learnt to make small talk, a bit of eye contact and smile, but its not genuine, its because it what I know I need to do to not stand out more than I already do.

I can't make conversation, its more passing comment "oh look its raining again", "soon be home time", etc.
    And yet everyone else can talk for hours and never seen lost for conversation.

They never seem to run out of things to say, and yet I can't think of anything to say but the odd bit of small talk.

Re: What do people talk about?

People talk about everything and anything. I find it really easy to talk one to one, I could just chat forever...but if there are 2 or more people and they look at me while I'm speaking I go bright red, I hate it! So, as you can see we all have our own issues xx

Maybe about what I did last night or something funny I saw on YouTube or things in the news.. When I'm in work i usually work like the clappers to avoid too many conversations.. like sial72 usually if I have more than one listening to me I would go bright red so i don't say anything, just smile, listen and nod. I let them do the talking but at the same time seem interested in what they're saying. I really clam up in groups.

I can honestly say I relate to this post.

I cant talk to anyone about anything other than say 1 line of random nonsense.

People have told me Im miserable, anti social and rude.

Maybe I am. But then again I may just be tired of listening to complete illogical nonsense.

I cant debate things in a conversations. There is only black and white with me. No grey areas to discuss.

Ultimately although Im very happy not to take part in conversations. It would be nice to learn how to waffle on and on

I agree with this. I tend to avoid kitchen situations in work where theremight be a group chatting . I just hate it

I'm the same. I think what they talk about is just pointless anyway

People talk about anything and everything. People's personalities are different, so some people love to talk about themselves and what they have been doing; some people love to talk about other people; some love to talk about their problems; some people talk about current affairs; some people like to debate; some people like to take a step back and listen to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsonlyme26 View Post
    I'm the same. I think what they talk about is just pointless anyway
    It's not pointless -it's good to talk - it's just you must struggle to make and hold conversation - there's no shame in that - if everyone was the same then the world would be a boring place x

I can talk underwater

Don't try to force conversation if it isn't what you want to do. Some people are natural communicators & others prefer to be left to their own devices & just engage in small talk. I'm a mixture of both. Conversation comes very naturally to me & some days you can't shut me up but on other days I can't be bothered with conversation & keep my head down. There is no right or wrong way to be - just be yourself. xx

Thread Information