Thread: Palpatations during and after exercise

Palpatations during and after exercise

I have been successful in getting back in exercising - I love it and I admit you feel great later. My problem is I sometimes during get a big palpitation in my chest/throat. If I am successful at making it through my workout without a palpitation then I will be walking around pitter pattering and then they come, usually there is only a couple but they are very heavy feeling and they feel from my chest into my throat and then its gone. I find this alarming and realize, it is still beneficial to continue to exercise.
    Can anyone relate?

TT

TT

Hi TT,

I get the same thing and it put me off exercising for ages but after having many ECGs I now know they are ectopic beats and that they are nothing to worry about. I know how you feel though as they can be very alarming and scary. I tend to stick to just walking as I am scared that anything more strenuous will bring them on. Have you seen the doctor about this? maybe he could advise you about this.
    Well done though on the exercising!!
    Take care
    love Lisaxx

Hi tt,

I got this even before this illness took a hold of me.

Its very normal, we just worry about it more because it resembles panic attack symptoms.

I used to go to the gym and my heart would skip, flip, race and beat in my ears, throat and everywhere else it shouldnt.

I think being unfit had something to do with it.[xx(]

I think the only time it is a problem is if you get pain with it. Weakness in your arms or dizziness is also a cue to stop.
    If you do get these as well, get the GP to check you out.
    I used to get pain in my lungs too and went to the GP. He said it was because I was a smoker and very unfit.
    [:O]

Jude x

Hi tt,

I get palpitations/ectopic heartbeats at all sorts of strange times, either sitting still doing nothing, bending down, walking sometimes and other times can do loads and not notice any. I have had an ecg and 24hour monitor, which picked up isolated ectopic heartbeats, but that was it, and the doctor won't give me any medications. I am only just, after three years, slowly beginning to accept that they are not dangerous, but I must admit I do still worry about them, but there are so many people on this site that get them, they must be'ok'. It would be a good idea to see your doc, just to make sure they are anxiety related.
    Take care,
    Linjane.

i get it really bad after i had a bath im ok while im in it when i stand up to get out my heart pounds and i feel dizzy i usually have to lay down til i can slow it down

fan x

Fan

Thats a bit different in origin.

A hot bath dilates all the blood vessels which is fine when you're lying in it relaxing.

When you come to get out its suddenly quite an exertion plus going up vertical quickly - so these totally relaxed blood vessels which has lowered your blood pressure have to spring into action quickly to get you upright and moving which is why your heart not only pounds but is faster than usual.

Getting up slower and sitting on the side of the bath for a few moments is a good compromise.

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
    You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Thread Information