Thread: Difficulty Swallowing - Pain In Middle Of Back- Please Help

Difficulty Swallowing - Pain In Middle Of Back- Please Help

Hiya!

i hope somebody can give me some advice!

i am having difficulty swallowing food. it feels like the food is passing over a lump or getting stuck as it goes down my back (where the pain is- just where your bra strap goes across your back).

then i can burp after but i know that the more i think about it, the worse it is and i can feel the 'lump' now as i sit here.

is it just trapped wind and stress and my stupid brain causing this - i'm going away soon and am terrified of the take-off on flying and getting in a panic with me hearing my heart beating and i keep having to take deep breaths to calm down.

please help! xx

Re: Difficulty Swallowing - Pain In Middle Of Back- Please Help

Hi, well that sounds like what's called a globus sensation which is common with anxiety but if it is caused by a real condition, could be gas...especially if it's relieved by the burping or it could be heartburn, reflux. I did have exactly what you're describing and was put on Zantac for a short time and it got better. Sometimes the dr. will want to do an endoscopy to see if there is irritation in the esophagus. I've had 2, you're sedated and don't know a thing. Sometimes, they just tell you what to eat and not to eat. You might try a low acid diet, not eating after 7 p.m...no onions, chocolate, citrus, tomatoes, alcohol and see if it improves. If it's just gas, you might look that up. Common for gas pains to radiate to your back, but same with reflux. If you can, I'd say see a gastroenterologist. But don't be scared, whatever it is, it can be fixed!

oh thanks so much! was yoursDEFINITELY where i said mine is? i'd just like some more reassurance? i spend my life lurching from one health worry to another!

hayley x

Yes, the pain is exactly where you described, sometimes a bit higher...feels like someone is drilling a hole through my back. Then I burp and it's better. Sometimes it takes a lot of burping. I try simethicone (Gas-X or any of the generic brands), not sure if it helps but it's supposed to break up the gas. I also try side bends at the waist, climbing stairs, all this makes me burp.

I feel the gas pain more in my back than my chest, where it also sometimes hurts from the gas.

Thread Information