Thread: Sudden, intense fear watching arguments/ debates

Question Sudden, intense fear watching arguments/ debates

Hi all,

Something that's bothered me recently with my anxiety is the intense, sudden fear I have when watching an argument or debate on TV. If it's gradual, then my anxiety is less sudden, but if people suddenly start yelling at each other and don't stop, I just can't take it. I either leave the room, switch it off or "absorb" the weird stress response. I'm worried my heightened reaction is damaging my body or mind at this rate.

Does anyone else get this? It's something that's come on quite recently for me and I can't think why. My parents never argued too much when I was younger, and generally life is good and happy. I was bullied when I was younger, and I don't enjoy conflict (I always try to avoid it). I also work alone freelancing, and fear perhaps being a little more isolated is making me this way.

Re: Sudden, intense fear watching arguments/ debates

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-Melody View Post
    Hi all,

Something that's bothered me recently with my anxiety is the intense, sudden fear I have when watching an argument or debate on TV. If it's gradual, then my anxiety is less sudden, but if people suddenly start yelling at each other and don't stop, I just can't take it. I either leave the room, switch it off or "absorb" the weird stress response. I'm worried my heightened reaction is damaging my body or mind at this rate.

Does anyone else get this? It's something that's come on quite recently for me and I can't think why. My parents never argued too much when I was younger, and generally life is good and happy. I was bullied when I was younger, and I don't enjoy conflict (I always try to avoid it). I also work alone freelancing, and fear perhaps being a little more isolated is making me this way.
    I also struggle to listen or watch anybody yelling or even talking in raised voices, I'm sure mine is down to a heightened sensitivity to noise, i struggle with the TV when it is too loud or even people with shrill loud voices. I am currently having CBT and have been advised to try the exposure technique where you gradually listen a bit at a time to the noise that is bothering you and hopefully it makes you less likely to become stressed by it.
    I'm not sure what triggers this kind of thing of, like you mine came on a few years ago, never bothered me when I was younger, it's definitely one of my many anxiety symptoms.
    I hope you find a way to tackle this problem, I know many posters on here struggle with noise sensitivity and there are a few threads discussing it.

Thank you for your response. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you!

Now that I think about it, I too suffer with loud noises. I work at home and don't often have loud music or podcasts on or anything. I'm usually the one asking for the volume on the TV to be adjusted, or to ask my boyfriend to stop playing guitar... which I feel really bad about, but some days I just want silence.

I'll look into some of the other posts about noise sensitivity and see if anything helps Thank you.

Would you describe the sensation as feeling overwhelmed?

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Would you describe the sensation as feeling overwhelmed?
    Sorry for the delayed response! Absolutely, although it comes on so suddenly it's quite odd and uncontrollable :(

Thread Information