Thread: Questioning reality/what's real?

Questioning reality/what's real?

I feel so out of it and strange lately. I can definitely feel the DP/DR going on.. I had a thought the other night in the shower about whether or not anything/anybody is real or if everything is just created by my own head.

It was a strange thought that I tried to dismiss, albeit I thought it was a terrifying idea. It has been popping back into my mind the last couple days and appears to be consuming me.

I don't know how to disprove the anxious theory that everything might be a figment of my imagination and that nobody is actually here with me. I imagine this is stemming from my personal fear of being alone, stuck in my head with my anxious thoughts.. So the idea that nothing is real and that everyone/everything in my world is simply created by my imagination is terrifying.

Has anyone else struggled with anything similar to this?

Re: Questioning reality/what's real?

Thoughts like these are common with anxiety. I remeber there was a one good post that completely disproved the theory. It went like, if world is product of you imagination, then you would have created all the things there are in it. For example, you would have created all the books, but then how come you don't know all of them?

I'm currently going through derealisation... it's 24/7! I'm always checking up on myself its horrible. Whether anything is real.. Do you ever feel like when you look at another person its just not the same? like whether they're real?
    It truly sucks, constantly out of it.
    You will get through it I'm sure. same as myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Benisfked123 View Post
    I'm currently going through derealisation... it's 24/7! I'm always checking up on myself its horrible. Whether anything is real.. Do you ever feel like when you look at another person its just not the same? like whether they're real?
    It truly sucks, constantly out of it.
    You will get through it I'm sure. same as myself!
    Yeah, I'm going through the same thing, Ben. I have moments where I notice that I feel completely spaced out and disoriented and I just don't feel real or present, almost as if I am in a dream. And I will look at the people around me and try to feel them, but nothing feels real and it makes me question reality and if I am actually alive.

I also constantly question whether any of this is real and whether I am actually alive. It's awful. I've been off work because of it for 9 months now x

I'm very familiar with the feelings you experience. In fact, as I'm typing this, I'm having a depersonalisation attack. Things don't feel real, I'm questioning my own existence. Saying that, the attacks don't last long now thanks to the medication I'm on (Escitalopram), but they're still scary and unsettling. I'm trying to focus on my environment and have put a film on hoping it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by ana View Post
    Things don't feel real, I'm questioning my own existence .
    if you're ever questioning your own existence just remember this quote from the great
    philosopher Descartes . "I think therefore I am"

You're right. I've started feeling a little better. Don't know how, but my mind slips into such states...

The thing you're describing is actually a philosophical theory called solipsism. And yes it is a pretty common theme among us ocd/ anxiety sufferers. Three years ago I went through the solipsism theme and it took me five months to shake it off. But yeah that ended up triggering my first derealization episode. But now when I have them they don't bother me as much. The one thing that kinda helps me is this, " even if everything was in my imagination I still have to eat, sleep and go to work" nothing really changes.

Even though I've studied Philosophy at school, I must admit I've forgotten (or have never heard of) solipsism. How did it trigger your depersonalisation episode? Did you spend too much time pondering your own existence until your mind went...unhinged? lol This sounds quite an offensive question, now I read it back, but I hope you know what I mean. I've had a similar struggle.

Thread Information