Thread: Emetophobia

Emetophobia

I am so intensely afraid of vomit. I'm scared of seeing someone vomit, of being around someone who is vomiting and even of vomiting myself (thankfully I haven't vomited since I was around 5 or 6 and I'm 19 now). If these things do occur, they set off a severe panic attack that involve me firstly running away and crying, but also heart palpitations, hyperventilation, instant headaches, light-headedness, intense fear and shaking. I also can't stand watching anything to do with vomit on tv, however this doesn't cause panic attacks, just abit of anxiety.

This kind of thing has been going on for as long as I can remember. My earliest memory has to be in kindergarten (I was about 4 going on 5), and this one kid the poor thing, he would vomit atleast once a month, if not once a week, and each time I would freak out and try to hide under the desks.

All throughout my life, I remember being teased about it by my friends and family as they all kind of took it as a joke, and that I would grow out of it. Not only did my phobia get worse as I grew older, but the teasing turned into anger. It really sucks because no one, not even my parents took me seriously. I still remember my dad got so angry at me one day yelling at me to cut it out, stop acting stupid and grow up already. Its embarrassing, it really is.

Even now, at 19, I still act like an idiot and cry and run away when someone vomits. And the worst thing is, people don't believe me when I say it's anxiety and an actual phobia, they just look at me like I'm embarrassing and pathetic.

And the fact that I'm so introverted and that I'm pretty depressed doesn't really help my situation. It's a vicious cycle; I'll have a panic attack and uncontrollably act like an idiot, embarrass myself, then go feel shit about myself and end up doing something stupid like injuring myself. But then again, my depression is a whole other story.

Does anyone else have this sort of phobia? And does anyone have any advice because I just can't stand it anymore?

Thank you

Re: Emetophobia

There's an entire sub-form dedicated to this very common phobia.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Emetophobia

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information