Thread: Optimism game

Smile Optimism game

Hey everyone.

I just thought I'd share an idea with you that has helped me a lot for the past few weeks, and maybe some of you out there would like to try it.

[I came up with the idea while trying out the "minimalism game" (decluttering your home for 30 days - 1 item on day 1, 2 on day 2, and so on, up to 30 items on day 30 so that after a month you've gotten rid of 465 items you no longer need).]

Basically my idea was to create the "Optimism game" (or maybe it already exists, who knows...) that would work with the same rules... except you write down positive or good things that happen to you during the day, or things you are grateful for. And it works the same way: you write down one positive thing on day 1, two on day 2, and so on, and after a month you've written down 465 positive things.

I have been doing this for 27 days now and I really have to say, I feel so so so much better. At the beginning I thought, okay, you've set yourself a real challenge there, how on earth are you going to come up with so many positive things?

It doesn't have to be anything big, you know. I wrote down things like, small successes at work, or the fact some strangers smiled to me on the train, or that I watched a good movie, or that my favourite song was on the radio, or that the sky was a beautiful colour or that I was enjoying the autumn, or whatever. Like I say... the little things.

And basically, of course I still have bad days, because they are just a part of life. But in all honesty, I have felt so much more content and happy in my heart. I have been able to look more at the positive than the negative and I have been feeling a lot more present in the moment, a lot more grounded and balanced.

So I hope that it will be of use to some of you as well. I would be happy to read about your experiences if you try it, so feel free to share

Have a nice Sunday!

Re: Optimism game

I like the idea of building up optimistic thinking, seems quite a clever idea though I think I would cap the amount of optimistic thinkings at 10 after 10 days.

I'll try and give this a go but I'm a bit rubbish at self organisation at the moment.

Sure mezzaninedoor, I think it will work either way you do it. Even if you just challenge yourself to write 3 or so things down every day
    The thing I liked most about it was that while I was doing it I still had crappy days, but I had a better attitude towards them and just thought, ok no worries, you're going home now and tomorrow will be a better day. Whereas usually when I have a bad day I panic a lot and start to question everything.

Let me know how it goes for you if you want

Its going okay'ish
    In my typical fashion I have missed a couple of days
    But I like it

You can do it.

I have been meaning to get back into journaling things to be grateful for. I used to do that every day a couple of years back. But this past 6 months has been the most challenging of my life and I really should try and harness some of that positivity and see if helps.

I've bought a new journal from amazon
    Only £6ish

It has mindfulness tips
    journalling pages &
    colouring pages

Its a bit girly looking though

In my first ever therapy session, it was recommended to me that I start such a journal. That was a week ago, haven't done it as of yet.

I don't know why, it feels odd. I feel like everything I'd write down would be way too mundane to be worth noting. I know, it's silly, since I'd be the only one reading it, so it wouldn't really matter what I put down.

I guess my obsessive mind is overthinking this....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness...ulness+journal

Shame its now up to £8, I got it for £6

I'm really tempted to build an app for this, as I'm generally quite pessimistic and need to be more optimistic.

Thread Information