Thread: ECG/Echo normal, chest pains persistent.

ECG/Echo normal, chest pains persistent.

Hello everyone,

For many months now and probably closer to a year, I have been having a lot of chest pains that come and go. They vary in type, but none of them are ever *super* severe (like an elephant on the chest). They are very noticeable though, ranging from small twinges to full on constant chest pressure, to one sided pains, sharp stabbing, etc. Only *sometimes* can they be reproduced by pressing on the chest.

I have seen various doctors about the problem and have had multiple EKGs and (finally) an echocardiogram after much prodding. The various doctors all seem to think I have costochondritis, because the tests show normal and there is pain when pressing anywhere in my chest (as well as most other areas of my body.)

My worry is that heart disease runs rampant in my family, my father and brother both died of it, both having multiple heart attacks, strokes, etc. My g-pa as well. My mother has some minor heart issues, palpitations and such.

In addition to my pains, I have palpitations and most everyday can hear my heartbeat no matter how I lay. I can also hear an occasional rapid thumping in my ear. Also, I have some arm weakness and shoulder pains. I know this could all be anxiety or even the costo, but I keep telling myself..what if it isn't? I am extremely overweight, but losing weight (down from 400+ to 371lbs), and with the risk in my family, I can't help but think maybe I am having angina, and it's being overlooked.

It's very very difficult to get doctors to prescribe any tests here, and it took nearly 4 months just to get the echo. They would not do a stress test, either.

Can ECGs/Echos show any signs of angina or no? I don't want to be one of those people who dies of a heart attack in their sleep if it might be preventable. :(

Re: ECG/Echo normal, chest pains persistent.

Hi Kaiserin,

First, posters to NMP aren't qualified to diagnose what anyone has - only a doctor can do that.

That said, I think I can make some comments.

First is chest pains - there can be many causes, but if it was angina, I think the doctors would have caught it. Most likely it is the normal stuff - wind, heartburn, anxiety.

Next is weight. It's probably in no way related to current chest pains, but as you get older, if you come into the obese range, it will have negative health effects.

Finally, perception of heartbeat. I would say that it is totally normal to be aware of your heartbeat in different parts of your body. It's not palpitations. I suffer from occasional atrial fibrillation, where one half of the heart goes haywire, and the other half beats irregularly. In that situation, my pulse disappears entirely and I would be glad to feel a pulse throughout my body.

Hi Hanshan,

My apologies if my post came off wrong, I was only asking if anyone had dealt with similar situations to compare with. I know that people here can't diagnose me.

I have just been so worried about everything from agina/heart disease to silent blood clots, it's really taking me over. I know I am not incredibly healthy, so that only adds to my anxiety since there is a real fear for me. (NOT to diminish anyone's anxiety, but some people are very young or healthy with their worries.)

The heartbeat and paplitations, I think it's both. The palpitations can be felt at random times, and will feel like my heart either speeds up or skips beats (I assume this is palpitations?), but at most any other time I am just aware of my heartbeat, especially when laying on one side (I can hear it in my ear) or on my belly (I can feel it pulsing in my stomach.)

It's just very very hard to reassure myself that I am in no serious danger right now, hence my post. I just keep thinking that something else is going on, and it's being overlooked. The doctors that I see are very difficult to work with and hardly ever want to do any tests, even cheap ones. :/

Hi Kaiserin,

Feeling heartbeats in your ear or tummy is totally normal. In fact, I would say that it is a very positive sign.

As to random changes in heartbeat - they are normal up to a point. Don't worry about occasional skipped beats or sudden repeated beats. It's normal. The point comes where the beat is completely irregular over minutes or hours and does not stop.

Hi Kaiserin, I have similar symptoms as you. Feeling pulsing in my body etc. Also, I have pain around my chest and other parts of my body too, niggley and random but not severe. I have an ECG check coming up and also a chest clinic appointment and I'm scared they will finds something. Hope you got yours sorted.

Thread Information