Thread: social anxiety or paranoia?

social anxiety or paranoia?

Hi all,

I'm unsure if I'm experiencing social anxiety or some form of paranoia. Basically Ive been dealing with OCD and the fear that I might develop schizophrenia. Its been going on for the last 8 weeks. I've become extremely self conscious around people, I worry about whether or not I look odd or seem abnormal. I worry about my speech, my presentation, basically all the ways in which I could be perceived. There's one thought in particular that worries me a bit. I get nervous that I may be acting strange and people don't want to tell me because they feel sorry for me. I worry when people are quiet around me. I worry about what my coworkers think of me. I don't necessarily think anyone is out to get me, I just worry that most people think I'm a lost cause and aren't telling me. I'm pretty sure this is connected to my fear of schizophrenia. Everyone at my work place knows I've been dealing with anxiety too so I feel a bit ashamed :(

Does anyone experience similar issues? I know these thoughts are irrational and I shouldn't care about what people think but I can't seem to shake the thoughts.

Re: social anxiety or paranoia?

Quote Originally Posted by lostinamist View Post
    Hi all,

I'm unsure if I'm experiencing social anxiety or some form of paranoia. Basically Ive been dealing with OCD and the fear that I might develop schizophrenia. Its been going on for the last 8 weeks. I've become extremely self conscious around people, I worry about whether or not I look odd or seem abnormal. I worry about my speech, my presentation, basically all the ways in which I could be perceived. There's one thought in particular that worries me a bit. I get nervous that I may be acting strange and people don't want to tell me because they feel sorry for me. I worry when people are quiet around me. I worry about what my coworkers think of me. I don't necessarily think anyone is out to get me, I just worry that most people think I'm a lost cause and aren't telling me. I'm pretty sure this is connected to my fear of schizophrenia. Everyone at my work place knows I've been dealing with anxiety too so I feel a bit ashamed :(

Does anyone experience similar issues? I know these thoughts are irrational and I shouldn't care about what people think but I can't seem to shake the thoughts.
    You're describing social anxiety. I don't know a lot about schizophrenia but you definitely have a handle on reality whereas schizophrenics generally don't and it would be obvious to those around you that something is majorly wrong.

P.S You shouldn't feel ashamed about having anxiety. More people suffer with it than you can imagine.

I also try to hide it from other people, but all it did for me was the opposite. They think I don't like them and that I ignore them on purpose, which makes me even more anxious.

I read your introduction too. Maybe you could find Debrah Fine's audiobooks useful (check on Amazon). They contain useful tips and tricks.

omg, i feel very similar but also dont know what to do.

Im currently trying to get into self development books and anything that can help me overcome my social anxiety, so any help is appreciated, thanks

Thread Information