Thread: Horrible Anxiety and Panic Attack on Train

Horrible Anxiety and Panic Attack on Train

Hi guys my first post so not 100% sure how this all works but hope someone may be able to give some advice. I generally suffer with low level anxiety on a day to day basis and get worried and nervous doing quite normal everyday tasks (speaking on the phone, going into town etc). Over the last 12-18 months i have started thinking people are always talking about me etc in public and have generally become quite paranoid and worrying about what people may think.....

2 weeks ago I was travelling to london on the train on a sunday afternoon and had been out drinking the night before. i was sat at a table seat so there were 4 people sat opposite me so was quite a socially intense situation. I had my laptop so was watching films on there trying to relax and just keep myself to myself and suddenly i got a sense of anxiety and worry as if i thought the girls opposite me were talking about me. this gradually got worse the thoughts intensifying in my head so much and after an hour i thought i was going to pass out i just wanted to dissapear as in my head i was just having what i can only describe as a panic attack. just staring into my laptop screen i was sweating heavilly and felt generally ill and i felt like the people around me thought i was on drugs or something as i was looking around awkwardly and eratically. I didnt know where to look and kept trying to look over to see if these girls were actually talking about me. a weird situation and eventually i got off a couple stops before arriving in london because i just had to get out of there.

I took 2 paracetamols containing caffeine prior to the journey for the hangover and ive heard this can help bring on social anxiety?

I want to know why i feel like this in perfectly normal situations because its so horrible and inhibits my confidence and ability to function on a normal level so much.

any help much appreciated.

Re: Horrible Anxiety and Panic Attack on Train

What you have described happened to me in the past. To this day, I still struggle with public transport. What I would suggest and found helps me greatly, is to stay away from alcohol the day before anything I know to be challenging and get plenty of sleep. It's likely, you had low blood sugar due to drinking the night before so that will make you feel weak. As well as this, you want to keep hydrated with plenty of water (no caffeine such as cola/coffee/tea etc). Make sure you have a decent meal inside you before you head out as well. Ideally not fast food but rather something healthier that will keep your blood sugar levels stable for longer. A banana is always a good shout for something quick to level you out that you can carry on you. If possible, you may find it more comfortable to sit in a seat that is not directly facing others but I appreciate this is not always possible. Hope this helps.

Thread Information