Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some things i've learned.

Re: Some things i've learned.

-Update 04-
    Had a pretty nice meeting with the careers adviser, still sort of dreading college but i'm feeling a little better about it and learning that i'll just have to deal with it and take it as it comes. Anxiety wise is pretty much the same but i'm coping with it better than i usually would, Today was my first riding in about 2 months so also quite proud of that

Overall still coping well, still struggling in the eating area but defo getting better x

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden01 View Post
    -Update 04-
    Had a pretty nice meeting with the careers adviser, still sort of dreading college but i'm feeling a little better about it and learning that i'll just have to deal with it and take it as it comes. Anxiety wise is pretty much the same but i'm coping with it better than i usually would, Today was my first riding in about 2 months so also quite proud of that

Overall still coping well, still struggling in the eating area but defo getting better x
    You are doing just great what a inspiration to us all well done and keep up the good work

As i've gone along i've noticed some things about anxiety so i thought i'd just write them down if not for you guys also for me if i forget in the future lol.

Irrationality: there's no doubt it's really silly to others and even us sometimes, i'm currently sat here trying to eat some mulligatawny soup, the rice and beef pieces are really small but even in small bitefulls i'm still terrified of choking, and why? because when we avoid things through fear it feeds the fear, and then it gets worse, i remember a time where i could eat something and my brain would say "make sure its small enough it could be dangerous" but the more i ignored it it turned to "ooh the beef is a little chewy despite being tiny it might kill us" the thing i've learned is that when i ignore these thoughts(because lets be honest here they are really really irrational) then sure you kinda have to deal with it going at you but after a while your mind will realize "oh wait maybe this isn't so bad" i like to think of it as an attention seeking child and sometimes you have to put it on the naughty step, i've also learned a couple of things that may help you guys i'm not sure

Reassurance: i know in scary scary situations we just need some help, but think of it as a fire. sure if the flame if is really bad you just any liquid you can find but ultimately you really need something effect like water(which is to learn through your own self), my partner has been gradually cutting down on giving me any and it actually helps so i'd suggest that x

Anxious situations: If you're in a situation where you're feeling anxious(lets say getting on a bus) try and calm and compose yourself, fake confidence if need be. if you give in to the unreliable thought that you're going to say something wrong or stutter and everyone will laugh then you're gonna be more likely to stutter because you're not thinking straight and clear, just breath stay calm and you'll be fine x

as far as a mini update i had my third CBT session yesterday and my therapist told me i actually knew three techniques already i just didn't use them enough(oops) i also apparently have a good positive outlook on life and i'm more than likely going to make a great recovery i haven't googled since October and i went to my first party one new years eve which worked out pretty okay x

I agree with you, re: reassurance.
    Not only does it not really help, but it can annoy your friends and family until they don't want to have much to do with you anymore.
    Sometimes- often- I find myself reassuring members on this board ("No, it's very unlikely you have colon cancer at eighteen years old, the odds are certainly against that..."), but then I wonder if I'm really doing them any favors. Does my reassurance help alleviate their fear, or does it- as you say- only add fuel to the fire?

What else can we say to people who come to this board with health fears, especially unrealistic ones?
    What can we offer them that might be more helpful than a simple reassurance that their fear is probably unfounded?
    Any thoughts or advice welcome.

-Update 05-
    I think I've relapsed? woke up about two hours ago and I still haven't been able to get out bed, i'm kind of just crying and trying to find the energy to get up and make food? x

-Update 05-
    I think I've relapsed? woke up about two hours ago and I still haven't been able to get out bed, i'm kind of just crying and trying to find the energy to get up and make food? x
    Did you sleep ok last night? it's not a very nice day today. but I would pull your self out of bed, is there any one who could make you a cuppa and bring it up for you? And any way it's a Sunday Come on up you get!!!! Cheers

I went to sleep about dead on 2 am after watching something, my OH made me some curry egg noodles and a green tea but would only give it to me if i went downstairs at least on the sofa i'm feeling a bit better now just having a bad day, this year is turning out like it's going to be really stressful x

-Update 05-
    Haven't updated in such a long time! but been hectic busy lately haha
    i've finally got my new glasses all ready they're really great and the gift of sight again is amazing!
    met with a careers adviser which was a little helpful
    rode a horse for a whole hour at work today!
    i've ate a lot too(granted it's still quite sugary stuff but i'm onto egg fried noodles now which is a great daily lunch that's actually fairly solid)
    lastly i saw a comedian live on the 25th like i said i was planning to do, i survived the whole experience and even met him afterwards so that was pretty great x

im glad that you are still making progress, little by little
    glasses are great , I didnt realise how bad my sight was until i got glasses last year

Thanks it means a lot i'm currently going through a mini crisis but i'm still remaining positive and finding happiness in the simple things x

i had my glasses for about 2 years before i lost them just before christmas and i really didn't realize how much i relied on them

-Update 07-
    nothing huge to update but just wanted to check in anyway,
    my side pain has been going at me non stop for about a week now and i haven't fully fixated over it! I put it down to my Endometriosis as i'm due at some point this week and i'm amazed i've managed to be tolerant about it x
    still really stressing about things and admittedly i cried last night(when i'm due i seem to actually pay more attention to the things i'm upset about?) i wrote them all down so i can tell my CBT therapist on Thursday which will be handy, all in all i'd say i'm fairly coping, eating is still better and i bit the bullet and signed up for a 5 month job at a little theater near me. right now the hardest thing is trying to work out what to focus on first, new years always give me stress because i feel rushed to improve things but i don't know how, i'm also struggling with the issue of having interests and passions but not doing them because "my anxiety will never be better enough for that" all in all i'm doing pretty well and i'm starting to realize what's bringing me down x

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information