Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is an ECG enough?

Re: Is an ECG enough?

ok this was very interesting to read and has kind of helped me knowing other people are going through this ....I have a dull ache right now in my heart area which i get almost every day ...I went to a & e last year had egg chest x ray blood etc and nothing showed up ...a few weeks ago i had an advanced health assessment at Bupa and this involved another ecg whilst on a fitness bike and resting plus blood/urine tests etc ...this also came back ok so why do i have this pain...when i came out of bupa i felt good but now i am back to thinking they must have missed something..how can i feel like this all the time if there is nothing physically wrong with me ...i just want to feel normal ..can it really be just anxiety ??? its making me so miserable and i lost my mother last month too so things really are not good here x

Does anyone know how i can get rid of this ...i will buy the book mentioned above for starters and see if that helps x

Thanks

Jo

Reading your post sounds so much like me down to a tee. My mother passed away about 2 years age (She was my rock).
    But i am always having Chest pains and have been rushed to a&e twice this year with them ecgs have been fine both in the amberlance and then in a&e,the chest x-ray fine and the and the CPK levels fine (so both times no heart attack.

My doctors says i have alot happening around my chest ie: GERD,costochondritis and constant anxiety everyday also for some reason i always pull chest muscles easy.

But I have to say it is driving me nuts constant feeling that something has been overlooked and the constant fear that something is about to happen to my heart, I wish i could shake this off as i feel such a letdown to myself and kids, I say to myself your a 39year oldman but your a damn wimp get over it (but it does not work).
    Have a stresstest ecg thursday (please let it be ok).

I hope you get over you troubles. And please do one thing that i never did was to grieve for your mother (i never did and i & my other half think that was a start for my anxiety/stress)

Take care

Quote Originally Posted by jo h View Post
    ok this was very interesting to read and has kind of helped me knowing other people are going through this ....I have a dull ache right now in my heart area which i get almost every day ...I went to a & e last year had egg chest x ray blood etc and nothing showed up ...a few weeks ago i had an advanced health assessment at Bupa and this involved another ecg whilst on a fitness bike and resting plus blood/urine tests etc ...this also came back ok so why do i have this pain...when i came out of bupa i felt good but now i am back to thinking they must have missed something..how can i feel like this all the time if there is nothing physically wrong with me ...i just want to feel normal ..can it really be just anxiety ??? its making me so miserable and i lost my mother last month too so things really are not good here x

Does anyone know how i can get rid of this ...i will buy the book mentioned above for starters and see if that helps x

Thanks

Jo

Edit - Sorry - just realised I've resuscitated a very old thread.

Hi, I stumbled upon this from a popular search engine and thought I'd add my tuppence. With anxiety you tend to get digestive problems and muscle tension as your body goes into fight or flight mode, despite the fact there may be no tangible reason for it. Obviously chest pain needs to be investigated to rule out any physical problems but it's likely to be due to the above. Muscle tension is painful, palps are scary (I'm having them now hence I'm here) and when your digestive system shuts down you get gas/wind and all sorts of other things that contribute to chest pain. I presented at my docs a few weeks ago with a resting heart rate of 130, bp was high and had a missed beat. Had to wait 3 day for an ecg - longest 3 days ever - and it was normal.
    Its not the first time I've had an ecg, and like others on here I've had paramedics out before now.

What has helped me is by accident - due to a trapped nerve in my shoulder I have been prescribed a neuropathic pain killer. Not sure if I'm allowed to name it, however as a side effect it has reduced my anxiety quite a lot and therefore my health anxiety too. Coupled with a clear chest x ray and ecg and some beta blockers I think I can finally start to accept there is nothing physically wrong with me. I still have doubts though.... par for the course with anxiety.

In short - yes an ecg is sufficient to rule out heart problems. It's the first line indicator and if any abnormalities show up, or your symptoms suggest further investigation is needed, then I'm sure they will look further into it. It's extremely difficult with anxiety to accept things because your mind and your thoughts are telling you lies about your body, trying to convince you something is wrong.

I hope from everybody's experiences here you are able to find some comfort.

I have just noticed that this thread was started over 8 years ago but the initial question is of course still valid. Is an ECG enough. Well in a sentence, yes it is .

Initially it can see if one is having a heart attack or not and secondly it can also show up various irregular heart rhythms though not always with every ECG.

To the best of my knowledge an ECG is still the most accurate way to know what is going on with the heart.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information