Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Emetophobia and Norovirus

Re: Emetophobia and Norovirus

Hi all
    count me in this too, i am in so much misery right now i can bearly function.
    I work full time in a huge store worst of all in the kids bit, today someone bought their child into the store and he/she(didn't stay long enough to discover what lol) was sick all over the shop floor, i just went into a blind panic, i hated the mother for bringing her child out ill ( i hate myself now for hating her) but this norovirus is just too much now i cannot cope much longer i want to quit my job (cant afford that) i want to hide in my house and come out when it's over but i know i can't do any of these things........ im so desperate and isolated i want someone to tell the newspapers how much this hurts people, how close to the edge this can make people like us i want to scream but i doubt anyone will listen :(
    Why did i never hear of this virus up untill about 5/6 years ago?
    Why do people enjoy telling everyone how sick and how terrible it is?
    i wish i had an answer a cure, anything that would help me through this cos right now i got nothing, i can't/wont eat, i can't sleep for fear of waking up in the night.
    Sorry guys just terrified right now.

Hi SharonDerby,
    I think you are so brave to be working in a large store, what a nightmare it must have been when that child was ****.

Know you aren't alone with this nightmare.... I too feel like hibernating and nearly decided to yesterday. The stress of being out and about is proving too much. people dont understand how stressful it is do they?

I'm getting obsessive about it (and all the other cold and flu bugs) - wont walk near anyhwere i hear cough, dont wany any physical contact with people, don't want to use buses, eat or drink out in public. all i want to do is stay in my home and not let anyone in.

Even peoples FaceBook statuses cause me angst - someone wrote something yesterday about being worried about catching the bug from the people where they work. I've got to go in that place on Sunday so went in to a major panic about it.

I can't cope with it.

Sharon, PM any time you want

Ellie
    xx

Ellie..
    Have you read the facts i posed about Norovirus?
    You can't catch IT by going into a building.

Take a look at what i wrote..

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Hi

I too am terrified about norovirus, but you can be in a room FULL of people with IT and not catch it. Unless one of the is sick near you, very near you, you clean up after them...not likely and if you don't wash your hands throughly and regularly.

It made me feel alot less anxious when I found this out. It is NOT an airbirne virus, you can only get it by getting the virus on your hands then ingesting it through putting your hands in/near your mouth, biting your nails etc. Even if you touch a door handle that a noro carrier has touched you won't catch IT unless you then put your hands near your mouth. If you wash them thoroughly for twenty seconds and rinse then well you will wash the virus off your hands.

Hope this helps a bit.

I've just found this site - thank god - it's a godsend to know others are obsessed about this dreaded norovirus. I'm so scared i'm going to catch it. I work in PR and i think a slow news week probably isn;t doing us any favours. this bug does come out every year and every year i worry myself to the point of being sick!
    Has anyone had it? is it as bad as everyone says? is it projectile? oh my god i would rather die that prjectile vom. i'm scared to eat my tea and i'm only a skinny little think. I'll end up losing loads of weight. I've strated carrying round those hand wipe things, but i dont want to get obsessed with cleaning my hands. Please help - is it as bad as everyone says? is it possible to just get the runs and not be sick. I can;t tell you how scared I feel

hiya Mel,

I'm so glad you've found this site and you know you aren't alone.

I wish i had words of comfort but all i can say is that you aren't alone, i know exactly how you feel and share your fears about eating etc.

I'm a nervous wreck and really low because of it.

Keep in touch eh? PM if you want to talk more

Big hugs
    Ellie
    xxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by andie73 View Post
    Hi Mee

It is great to hear that the bug isn't that bad but for an emmt even feeling sick sets off a panic attack and hours of anxiety. It is impossile for us to rationalise it like you do by ticking off another virus. It's like a life and death situation for someone who has emmetaphobia. I know that sounds very melodramatic, but that's how it feels. You really don't believe you are going to survive.

However it is comforting to know that the bug isn't as bad as the scare mongering media make out.
    Sorry that i came over harshly. I understand that my flippent statements could make it seem so easy to overcome. I am on hear for a similar irrational fear so I am with you. I used to be frightened stupid about needles. One day me and my now wife decided we wanted to go on holiday somewhere tropical. Anyhow we booked it without thinking. As a Yorkshire chap loosing all that money did not even come in to the equation. We found out after booking it that we needed loads of injections.....panic hit...Do i lose the money NO!!! or get the injections so I went to the docs and panicked until I was nearly sick.. my girlfriend was with me like a mum and her child. Anyhow to cut a long story short I did not feel them. I know that that was not all it would take to cure my phobia so when returning from our holiday I booked in for all the injections I had missed as a kid.

The thoughts of the anxiety are the worse experience the actual event is nothing in comparison. In this case try to manage the thoughts so you can experience the event so you can prove to your mind that it is all unfounded.

I feel sometimes you can hinder yourself by talking about your phobia too much. You are giving it the power it does not deserve. I want to calm the nerves not excite them. If you notice I post a lot more to problems I do not have as I find helping others with problems I do not have helps take my mind off my own. Win Win.

Dont forget its the thoughts that are our enemy not the actual illness.

Love to you all.

Mee

Another very very bad day for me.
    A grown man came into our store, promptly threw up, then decided to walk a little further round the dam store and be sick again.....WHAT WHY i am so bloody frightened i don't know what to do, can't think straight, can't eat,sleep drink...... i'm so out of it now i am at my wits end, i just want to hear this dam virus is over with, please oh god please let that day be soon

Sharon, what a total nightmare for you and why on earth didnt that man get out of the shop ....aaagh .

I know what you mean when you say you're at your wits end - I very much feel the same. I've got to go into hospital in a short while and am so so tempted not to go. I'm getting desperate and my anxiety is off the scale. All i want to do is hide away in my house for the next few weeks.

I dont know what to do anymore and am very scared I'm going to lose it completely.

Thinking of you Sharon,

Ellie
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by SharonDerby View Post
    Another very very bad day for me.
    A grown man came into our store, promptly threw up, then decided to walk a little further round the dam store and be sick again.....WHAT WHY i am so bloody frightened i don't know what to do, can't think straight, can't eat,sleep drink...... i'm so out of it now i am at my wits end, i just want to hear this dam virus is over with, please oh god please let that day be soon
    You never know, he might have had a hangover. if this virus is as bad as they say he wouldn't be out shopping! I'd be worried too but i would just try and think he'd been out for his xmas party and had a big whopping hangover!

I know i'm anxious because i keep having dreams bout sick and that's how i know. I'm just trying my hardest not to think about it x

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information