Thread: Take your mind off it?

Take your mind off it?

Hi everyone hope your okay.

I was just wondering what everybody did to take their mind off their panic/ anxiety/ phobias, when we say we have an attack or our thoughts get out of control we always say we "did or have something to take our mind off it". so i was just wondering what everybody did to take their mind off it?

Maybe some people could try other peoples ways of trying to take their mind off it, im know im always open to suggestions.

I personally go for a drive, play the computer/net or take a diazepam [Oops!] ( i know its the easy option, but i dont take that many)

hi to take my mind off panics i read books exercise listen to music and sing along loudly, go out see friends.i pace up and down and talk to myself and i also rock back and forth.they help sometimes but if not i just have to wait for them to go.

I must admit I take Diazepam when I feel it coming on. Started on Prozac recently, about a month now & feeling a bit better, but still have really bad days when I worry so much about having a heart attack. I find water helps, I have it by my bed all the time, its mainly at night with me. If I'm in a queue or something though I find myself walking on the spot, which seems to calm me somewhat for some strange reason. Probably just a fear of fainting I suppose. Hate being on my own too, so having people round helps.

Les

Re: Take your mind off it?

Whenever a panic keeps me awake until the early hours, when I flick on the Tv to distract me theres always some kids show on - it may sound stupid but I find they really help, they can be pretty funny - whether intentional or not - and they always exist in these worlds that are completely free of worry or stress. I even learnt from one recently that you can spin a hardboiled egg on its side, but an unhardboiled egg wont spin. Amazing !
    Other than that, I find like most people that being alone perpetuates the panic so I try find or ring someone, anyone to talk to. I'm also always refilling on water.

reading some adventure books, that is calming.

I guess everyone has different causes for their anx so different things would help ? Long term for me, if I can do some exercise (solo, not a public gym, watching a load of europeans (or indeed brits) built like brick s**thouses wouldnt help) like a bike ride or weights/cv/wii fit at home. anything that is trying to address the root cause and gives potential for something changing.

Short term, if I'm standing in queue with people around doing their usual sunday thing, I'll try not to think of the things that are getting me down, and think of a good memory or accomplishment, or think of something good/normal thats going on (going back to feed the dog or something), which will hopefully help me ride out the few seconds between there and the door.
    Last edited by evil monkey; 17-01-12 at 06:57.

Thread Information