Thread: Withdrawal?

Withdrawal?

Hello. I am planning to see a GP next week but in the meantime feel the need to see if anyone else has experienced the same symptoms as I am increasingly worried

I was taking amitriptyline until a few weeks ago - only a low dose - but stopped abruptly due to running out (an error on my part) and changing doctor due to moving. At first I had no side effects, but I think in the last week I may have - is it possible to experience them with a delay?

I've been so nauseous that I couldn't eat much; had shaking/tremor all over my body - though particularly bad at night, when my spine feels like it has electric shocks going through it; stomach upsets; insomnia; a feeling of pressure in my head; and most scarily of all, feeling highly detached and confused.

Could this all be down to withdrawal?...

Re: Withdrawal?

Hi, yep, probably withdrawal. If it's manageable and you don't need more meds, and you are confident that you have effective self-help skills, see if you can weather it. Withdrawal symptoms are usuall gone within 7 weeks(!).

If you do need meds, speak to a doctor asap. If you are not prepared to cope with the symptoms of withdrawal it can cause a relapse. Don't be scared though, you know if you need the meds or not, you know if you are capable of coping without them.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Re: Withdrawal?

Thanks Psycho - if I'm honest probably not, partly due to a situational change (though maybe if I struggle to adapt some of my coping methods to different situations, they weren't quite sturdy enough yet!).

Thread Information