Thread: 20MG Citalopram

20MG Citalopram

Hi Folks
    I am having a very very tough time on Citalopram. My anxiety is through the roof and much worse than it was. I often cannot come down to a non panic state until taking a 1mg Lorazapam which makes me feel at least I have some hope left.
    I was was on 10MG for a week and then the Psychiatrist agreed to let me go up to 20MG. I have been taking the 20MG for 1 week and like I said I am finding it difficult to go on. My main symptoms are agitation, inability to concentrate on anything pacing around the room, tingling forearms and backs of legs, urinating often, feeling shaky and generally on the edge. I have an appointment with the Psychologist this week but the doctor is talking about stopping my lorazapam. I have been using that for about 2 -3 weeks now. Are there any alternatives to lorazapam, the doctor says he doesn't want me using them but I need them to get me through these tough times.
    Are these experiences normal. I could sure do with some encouragement at the moment I am getting to the point where I cannot work.

Thanks

Rich

Re: 20MG Citalopram

Hi
    Hang in there, I had exactly the same. Doc also gave diazepam to help with cit. side effects for a week or so.
    You will get there.

Hi Jacks

Thanks four your encouragement.

Did you have diazapam as well as lorazapam. I have
    some diazapam prescribed by a different doctor but haven't used these since being prescribed lorazapam by current doctor (different counties). Lorazapam only seems to last a couple of hours if that. Did you find the side effects
    Peaked and then stopped or gradually wore off. I don't get any other side effects anymore like nausea and headaches they went quite quickly but this anxiety is unbearable. I'm also on zopiclone to sleep.
    Thanks
    Rich

Hello Rich,

I've been on Citalopram for 8 weeks. 2 on 20MG and 6 on 30MG. I had all the symptoms you describe and it is horrendous. My only advice to you is to be strong and fight this. I dragged myself in to work every day. I took walks. i went swimming. Try and keep yourself as busy as possible . Be careful of taking Benzo's. They are highly addictive and can be dreadful to come off. They should only be used as a last resort. I only took a few in the early days. and i haven't taken any in about 5 weeks. The first few weeks are extremely difficult but if you hang in there you will see subtle differences. I still have off days and my sleep isn;'t great but I can function fairly well and every day it gets eaasier. I keep a mood diary. It's very useful for visits to your doctor. you can referencei t and check your progress. This will help determine whether or not you are on the correct dose . Try and stick to your normal day to day routine. I was glad i did as it aids recovery. 2 weeks is a very short time. I didn't notice any real differences for a month to 6 weeks. Remember everyone on this has been in your shoes and we got through it. Check in regualarly as chatting with people who have experienced this will make you feel a little better .
    Last edited by DELIBY99; 24-07-13 at 08:52.

Thanks Deliby99

I can actually feel the tablet activating about 2-3 hours after taking it and thats when things start to cause me issues. Today I am happier to say that my anxiety levels are much lower than yesterday so far but I feel really spaced out, maybe they peaked yesterday!. Unfortunately I cannot go into work as i'm customer facing and it invloves a lot of travelling, staying away from home etc so at the moment I am workign from home until I feel ready for that. I am otherwise getting out and trying to keep distracted as much as possible but as you know its so hard. All of your comments have given me hope and I appreciate you taking the time to help.

I agree that talking about this helps no end.

Rich

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Just one more thing based on my last post about feeling the tablet starting to kick in, is that normal? I. Mean I was much better mood wise before I took my tab this morning and now I am down and anxious again. Thanks for reassurance.

Rich

Thread Information