I have been on high dose Dosulepin for quite a few months now, and I don't think it is making any difference for my depression or insomnia problems.

A few months ago, my GP added a small dose of Quetiapine (an anti-psychotic), to try to help my insomnia. It still didn't work and my insomnia was becoming very, VERY SEVERE (e.g. I do not sleep at all for 7-10days, then only sleep for an hours or so, before not sleeping for another 7-10days, and so on). So, I took it upon myself to try and ascertain if a higher dose would help me sleep. I tried and a higher dose worked. So I went back to my GP and asked her for the higher dose. She was fairly reluctant because it is only usually used in the higher dose for people with extreme psychosis, however, with a longer discussion about the problems I have without sleep, which include violent and suicidal thoughts, hallucinations, etc, she agreed to increase the dose on Friday. I have now slept for 3 nights in a row (about 5-6 hours each night), which is amazing. I got to a point where I never thought I would sleep again!

I just wondered, has anyone else ever been prescribed Quetiapine (Seroquel) for sleep problems or without psychosis (particularly in a higher dose)? If so, has it had any side effects?

Thanks,
Lima x