Thread: Not going well.

Not going well.

I don't know what i expected from CBT but this is not it?

The therapist barely speaks, she offers no advice on how to change my thought patterns.

At my last hour session (it lasted 25 minutes) she advised me to start taking the meds that I have been prescribed. I specifically told her that I want to try and get through this without medication as I had a less than amazing experience with Sertraline earlier this year.

I've had 3 sessions now and they have done nothing. I really really wanted CBT to be the thing that "fixes" me and all its done is confuse and stress me out further.

I called the organisation thats runs the NHS therapy here in the East Midlands to complain and see if someone else to look after my case.

Has anyone else struggled with a less than successful start to CBT?

Thanks.

Re: Not going well.

CBT is a long process. A lot of people say that they think that nothing is happening after their first few sessions. It's also quite common for people to complain that the therapist barely speaks.

That's not to say that your therapist is doing a great job and you should just get on with it. Finding the right therapist is also important. Hopefully you can get re-assigned soon and they will suit you better.

Remember, CBT can help, but ultimately you are the thing that will fix yourself.

Me. I don't 'get' CBT. All I recall from my CBT sessions is being told I wasn't willing to try things (because there was a few things I wasn't willing to do, one of which was 'do something' about my relationship). My therapist did all 16 sessions with me even though it was evident it was going nowhere and I'm very grateful for that though. However I still feel like they blamed me for it not working and at the end of my sessions I was advised to reapply once I had a job so they could help with my lack of social skills.

However it's still early days for you and you will both be getting to know each other still. As for the meds do what you feel is best for you.

My CBT was a great experience. The therapist was very understanding of the HA cycle and after the first session which was mainly me speaking (and crying that no believed I was ill and I was scared I was going to die soon) the second session started with a summary of my own personal thought cycles mapped out. She was very supportive of trying talking therapy before meds.

Maybe see if the next session is better...have they set homework? Are you doing it?

If it isn't working ask for another therapist. You have taken the brave step to lay yourself bare during therapy so you deserve to have a therapist who gets that.

I've had no homework at all. She just kept repeating the same thing over and over again about saying the death of a close friend was my trigger (I already knew this).

She just told me to start the meds and I was out the door 25 mins later. I actually had to ask what can I do to help? How can I rationalise my thoughts? There was nothing. Just take the meds.

I won't be seeing her again. Asked for someone else to cover my case. I really want an experience like yours.

I read up on things, and then set up my own "homework".

I once saw this TV program, where they interviewed a psychologist who really seemed to know what he was on about, one of the best in the country presumably, so I contacted him, went for about three sessions upon which he told me I didn't really have any huge problems, then charged me ~£300 for maybe 2 or 3 sessions, and that was it. CBT isn't for everybody.

As for the...

Quote Originally Posted by Colicab85 View Post
    How can I rationalise my thoughts? There was nothing. Just take the meds.
    ...you might want to look into this book "the new diary" by "tristine rainer" (https://www.amazon.com/New-Diary-Sel.../dp/0874771501)
    I don't write a diary now, but I did in the past, and made extensive use of this book. (I later threw all my paper diaries away, it was 15+ years ago, wouldn't want to ever have them published so saw to it they went away with the kitchen waste, but as a tool for dealing with difficulties it was a very good tool for working through problems and difficulties.)

Sorry to hear that your C.B.T. isn't working for you.

Mine was a massive help. My therapist was very supportive and I had homework every week.

In the sessions we also listened to relaxation cd's, done breathing exercises, done muscle stretches and also did exercises that would bring on physical symptoms on purpose.

She advised me to try and get through it without medication.

If I were you I would persist for a little longer.

Thread Information