Thread: Noro fear getting out of hand

Noro fear getting out of hand

Hi , I haven't post in such a long time , I'm 37 my phobia regarding noro virus / sick bug is at a all time high . The last few months I've been a nervous wreck . I have 2 daughters they are 7 & 3 live with me they both go to school / playschool . In recent weeks my 2 step children (they do not live with me ) have both had noro , my neighbours children both had it , a friends 3 kids (all go to school with my kids ) & now my best friends children all have / had it . I'm in panic , I'm struggling to the point I'm crying shaking , I do not want to send my girls to school or playschool today , my hands r sore from washing them . I went to my gp last week he just told me to phone some numbers for counselling so now I'm on waiting lists . I bleach the toilet after everyone goes . This fear is getting out of hand , I'm struggling to open doors in public , hold my children's hands , everything seems to b a threat , I worry all eve the girls will b sick in bed . Today my best friends daughter has come down with it an Now yet again I'm so stressed so uncontrollably anxious . I can't cope with feeling like this for much longer . I'm on 20mg of citalopram I'm a anxious person all round not just this phobia but this has taken over :(

Re: Noro fear getting out of hand

You really have my sympathy it's so very hard :(
    I once read that people who have phobia of noro are less likely to get it because they practice such strict hygiene. But like you say you don't want to live your life in such a state of worry.
    Something I found useful that I learned in therapy is that anxiety makes us overestimate the threat and underestimate our ability to cope.
    I hope that you find benefit from the counselling, remember you're not alone in your fears
    Bless you
    X

Re: Noro fear getting out of hand

I feel your pain! I am going through the exact same thing right now (I posted yesterday) . I used to love this time of year but come last year when my son started school and I heard there was loads of bugs going about I couldn't enjoy it at all! The winter months where I looked forward to the cold snowy weather so I could sit and have snuggles on the sofa with blankets and hot chocolate have been destroyed by this fear. I have always had it but it's getting worse. He started nursery at 1 as I went back to work, all those years at nursery he got one sickness bug and that was in the summer would you believe. Never when D&V went around nursery. Roll forward to last year, he gets a bug right before his last day for the Xmas hols. There is of course another doing the rounds this year, I can't look forward to Xmas as I am convinced we are going to end up with this bug. I am of course terrified of it but I also see it as such an inconvenience. At least with a cold if you need to you can get on with it. With sickness it's a whole day and night usually of misery. I can't bear it! My sons friend has come down with it and she escaped it last year so the way I see it is it's a particularly bad strain as the stronger ones seem to be getting it! My appetite has decreased which I can't afford to happen, my stomach feels gross because of panic then of course I think it's the start of something. I do have domperidone anti emetic tablets but I'm not sure that they would stop me throwing up if I catch a bug. I would bring you some over if you lived nearby just incase they do help! Wish this fear would do one I would rather cuddle a spider and I'm terrified of them too but this is different, it takes over everything! X

---------- Post added at 08:13 ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 ----------

Oh and if one more person says 'if you're going to get it you're going to get it' I will not be held accountable for my actions!!

Also, I have done a bit of research and according to statistics in reality only a small percentage of the population actually do get it compared to how many don't. If you think about it, are you and everyone you know poorly every year? There may be some that are but an awful lot who aren't. I know that doesn't make it any easier for us but it helps a bit I think. From when you started primary school to now have you been ill every year for example.

My mum said out of my and my sister my sister was ill more often but it certainly wasn't a yearly thing!

Also I believe the name norovirus covers a range of sickness bugs some a lot milder than others.

Thread Information