Thread: Taking multi-vitamins/antidepressants with tea

Taking multi-vitamins/antidepressants with tea

I normally take my multi-vitamins and vitamin c tablets and antidepressants with tea, i was wondering whether this would stop them from working as i know you are supposed to take them with water or doesn't it matter?

I was just wondering because obviously if it affects them working i need to make sure that i take them with water all the time.

Re: Taking multi-vitamins/antidepressants with tea

I can't see it would make any difference to be honest.

It says take with a drink - obviously not alcoholic - but no reason why tea isn't ok.

I do hope that is decaff tea

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I dont think it really matters.Usually it tells you if you have to take it with water.I have to take mine with water as there capsules,slow release.

As Yorkylover said, slow release antidepressants should be taken with a cold drink. Otherwise the capsule melts too fast. TAking vitamins etc is ok with tea. My only problem is if I take fish oil with a hot drink they repeat on me not nice

I take my caps with juice, that way you cant taste em,

lol fish oils repeat on everyone at first, soon goes away.

I read some where that Vitamin C shouldn't be taken with coffee - I think it said the caffeine either destroyed the vitamin or stopped the body absorbing it.

7. Re: Taking multi-vitamins/antidepressants with tea

I think it doesn't matter.

Also there are some food and herbs that are rich in natural antidepressants.

Herbs

Turmeric (Turmeric, is a more effective antidepressant than prozac)
    St John’s Wort
    Hawthorn,
    Rhodiola,
    Valerian

Food

Nuts: rich in omega 3
    Dark chocolate
    Fruits: kiwis, oranges, strawberries, clementines, grapefruits, lemons, chestnuts are among the fruits richest in vitamin C
    Live food in general (fruit, raw vegetables, sprouted seeds).

source: magazinescience.com/en/health/natural-antidepressants/

Quote Originally Posted by yorkylover View Post
    I dont think it really matters.Usually it tells you if you have to take it with water.I have to take mine with water as there capsules,slow release.
    Quote Originally Posted by jo61 View Post
    As Yorkylover said, slow release antidepressants should be taken with a cold drink. Otherwise the capsule melts too fast. TAking vitamins etc is ok with tea. My only problem is if I take fish oil with a hot drink they repeat on me not nice
    How likely are they to melt in your mouth with some hot tea when they are designed to slowly dissolve in stomach acid? Or even bypass the stomach to reach the intestines? Unless you kept threw capsule in your mouth for a period of time, you couldn't even judge this.

Follow the manufacturer instructions. If they don't want you to take them in a certain way, they will state it.

---------- Post added at 04:52 ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NadineBen View Post
    I think it doesn't matter.

Also there are some food and herbs that are rich in natural antidepressants.

Herbs

Turmeric (Turmeric, is a more effective antidepressant than prozac)
    St John’s Wort
    Hawthorn,
    Rhodiola,
    Valerian

Food

Nuts: rich in omega 3
    Dark chocolate
    Fruits: kiwis, oranges, strawberries, clementines, grapefruits, lemons, chestnuts are among the fruits richest in vitamin C
    Live food in general (fruit, raw vegetables, sprouted seeds).

source: magazinescience.com/en/health/natural-antidepressants/
    Turmeric isn't more effective than Fluoxetine. Turmeric can't even be absorbed hardly at all into the bloodstream and it just passes through the gut & colon providing benefits in that area.

You are misquoting the study. It's the curcumin in the turmeric. But barely any of it can be absorbed into the bloodstream without adding an agent to increase the absorption rate. They commonly use piperine which studies have found books curcumin absorption by 2000% (if my memory is correct).

Curcumin has been found to be as good as some antidepressants but only when this factor has been adjusted for. It's the reason some supplement manufacturers are now creating combined versions but there don't provide anywhere near that 2000% from the ones I've seen.

And a word of caution. Piperine alters liver enzymes a bit like grapefruit juice so it can cause antidepressants to linger longer hence increasing their strength. So, be careful. There doesn't seem to be as much info out there on piperine enzyme inhibition as grapefruit juice so it's hard to tell but when I checked the enzymes my SNRI uses, I found piperine to be using some of them too.

The OP is using antidepressants so those herbals you quote should be checked out for interactions first. Combining St, John's Wort with meds like SSRI/SNRI's can cause Serotonin Syndrome! There are Major interactions set there.

But you have bumped an ancient thread so it may not be relevant to the OP anymore but other readers should be made aware.

Good post Terry. I don't take any vitamins or supplements When I need to see GP next I will ask which ones I can take--if needed. That's what everyone should do if they take medication. Blood tests will show if there is a supplement is needed.

Thread Information