Thread: Anxiety leading to depression cycle

Anxiety leading to depression cycle

I have posted a few times about how I started going through an ALS HA episode in mid-November. The fear gradually grew for a couple weeks until it was out of control and has me focused on some hand/arm cramp/fatigue.

I saw my primary doc, neurologist, psychiatrist, and therapist. Have started zoloft with a slow increase about 4 weeks ago. I am still increasing. Also taking .25 klonopin daily.

At this point I am not really feeling better, anxiety no better, my hand/arm symptoms are still bothersome and I am very emotionally drained from the last month of adrenaline/anxiety pouring out and exhausting me.

So now I am feeling depressed. When you feel this way every day it feels like you will never feel normal again. And that feeds more anxiety and fear...what if I never get better? I wish I could just shake this. I actually had a few good hours over the holiday but woke up this morning worse than ever.

I'm just having a bad day and not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Even my partner said he has never seen my anxiety/depression this bad before. That scares me also. Like this is getting worse as I get older.

Anyone with words of wisdom?

Re: Anxiety leading to depression cycle

I was in a similar situation to you, actually. I had bad HA and it would seem to get better, then months later it would return worse. Then depression cropped up and it was just awful. I'd have days where I couldn't get out of bed, then days where I was so agitated/anxious I could barely sit still.

I started on lexapro and clonazepam and slowly things got better. I've been on the lexapro for about 8 months and only take the clonazepam as needed and *knock on wood* things are much better. I still have moments when I get anxious about something but they pass quickly - as in the course of an evening - and it's not nearly the level of panic I felt before.

If you've been all cleared by the docs, it's time to just try and fight the anxiety. It'll probably take a little longer for the zoloft to kick in. Has your therapist helped you with any coping techniques?
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thanks Poppy.

I know I have to be patient with the zoloft kicking in.

My therapist made me a relaxation recording that I try to do every day. I am also doing yoga once a week.

Keeping busy helps, but I don't "feel" like doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by emmegee View Post
    Thanks Poppy.

I know I have to be patient with the zoloft kicking in.

My therapist made me a relaxation recording that I try to do every day. I am also doing yoga once a week.

Keeping busy helps, but I don't "feel" like doing anything.
    Oh, I've been there! It may help to name one thing you'll make yourself do every day, then try to up it to two, etc.

Just be kind to yourself while it kicks in; things will get better from there!
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by emmegee View Post
    I have posted a few times about how I started going through an ALS HA episode in mid-November. The fear gradually grew for a couple weeks until it was out of control and has me focused on some hand/arm cramp/fatigue.

I saw my primary doc, neurologist, psychiatrist, and therapist. Have started zoloft with a slow increase about 4 weeks ago. I am still increasing. Also taking .25 klonopin daily.

At this point I am not really feeling better, anxiety no better, my hand/arm symptoms are still bothersome and I am very emotionally drained from the last month of adrenaline/anxiety pouring out and exhausting me.

So now I am feeling depressed. When you feel this way every day it feels like you will never feel normal again. And that feeds more anxiety and fear...what if I never get better? I wish I could just shake this. I actually had a few good hours over the holiday but woke up this morning worse than ever.

I'm just having a bad day and not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Even my partner said he has never seen my anxiety/depression this bad before. That scares me also. Like this is getting worse as I get older.

Anyone with words of wisdom?
    Hi

Sorry to hear you are going through a tough time.

Your doctor should have told you but antidepressants such as zoloft can take anywhere from six to eight weeks to begin to fully kick in and can sometimes make your anxiety and depression worse before it gets better so make sure you keep in contact with your doctor and explain everything about how you are feeling so they can make the right decision about your treatment plan.

A couple of months ago my anxiety from my job led me into depression which at first I tried to shake it off but it just got worse and worse until I was put on an antidepressant which I've been on since August this year. It took me about two months to fully feel that the depression and anxiety lifting and now I can say I'm back to my normal self with no depression and much less anxiety.

My depression made me feel like my life was getting worse and there was no light at the end of the tunnel. Now I no longer feel like this and my life is much more normal and positive and I'm looking forward to the future. When I was going through my depression I never felt like this, I just felt so negative, fed up and down most of the time.

My advice is to give your medication time for it to work and talk to your doctors and tell them everything about how you feel and your worries.
    Maybe also try having a diary where you can write down your thoughts and feelings.

All the best.

Thread Information