Thread: Severe side effects

Severe side effects

Hi all. I was quite active on this site for a few years about 13 years ago. I've suffered with anxiety for most of this time. Subsequently I was going through infertility and recurrent miscarriage.

Anyway, long story short I am now under peri natal mental health services and have been managing my bouts of anxiety (quite manic) with diazepam as and when. I have these episode about once a month at the moment.

My psych prescribed Seroquel but after a quarter of the dose it zombified me and didn't agree with me, I now have 2 beautiful baby boys so my priority is taking care of them. I was told to stop the med immediately.

I have now been prescribed Lyrica 75mg X 2 per day. I Am very sensitive to meds so started 75mg and I've been having weird side effects which is making anxiety go through the roof. Feeling drunk, euphoric, sensitive brain, then like a come down feeling is the only way I can explain it. I def do not feel myself and some of the feelings are not anxiety but the med. My CPN knows nothing about the drug and told me it's my decision to stop or carry on and I'm not holding my breath on my psych calling me back anytime soon. My next review is 13th Feb.

I've tried SSRI's in the past, seroxetine sent me straight to A and E with severe anxiety episode.

I don't know what to do, ride this drug out to see if the sides subside as my psych did say I May feel a bit strange at first or stop this med my head is all over the place and I'm really struggling.

Anyone else had similar? I've also raged at the kids and I hate myself for it which is making me think this may not be the miracle cure I keep reading about for anxiety ��
    Last edited by LeeC; 17-01-17 at 12:47.

Re: Severe side effects

I started on 50mg twice a day and i did get those side effects but weren't that severe and subsided after a day or two. I slowly worked my way up to 300mg a day before i felt much benefit. I stuck at that for a month or so then went up to 450 at 50mg a week increases. Each time i went up i had mild side effects like the ones you mention.

It doesnt completely kill my anxiety at all but definitely helps me quite a bit. Therapy has helped me more though

It actually feels worse than my anxiety and I'm having to take more diazepam than I would generally. Having just raged at my baby again for simply wanting attention I have decided this is not the med for me. It's a shame as I was so hopeful about this medication. Back to the drawing board. Just waiting to hear from my gp as to of I can just stop or need to taper off....... This sucks.

Glad you had some success with it.

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 ----------

My psych called back, he has suggested lowering the dose to 75mg to see how that effects me for another week. I've sort of reluctantly agreed but told him if the sides don't improve I will discontinue.

i understand completely i was so terrified of the side effects at first. My doctor and psychiatrist gave me some diazepam to help me through the first few days.

Some people say if you get side effects then that means it will probably work for you, i'm not sure if that's entirely scientific though.

My psychiatrist said the worst thing will happen to you on lyrica/pregabalin is that it won't do anything. He tried me on that first since i'm so scared of stomach related side effects that some people get get from SSRIs.

After 3 days my side effects were barely noticeable (except for a dry throat in the mornings). Entirely up to you if you want to stick with it or not though.

I started on it by taking 75mgs at night for a week then upped it to 75mgs morning and evening. And yes, I did get side effects - I think I ticked 17 of the ones on the leaflet - but they only lasted for a week and then disappeared. Please try and stick it out. How long have you been taking it for? My doctor said the same about the side effects - it shows it is working for you. I feel much better now - my anxiety is on the back burner.

This is day 6. I spoke with my psych and agreed 75mg at nights for next week with diazepam if required. I am hyper sensitive to medications and because I had a really bad episode about ten years ago after taking a single dose of an SSRI my anxiety goes into hyperdrive when I start any meds.

My anxiety tends to be manic like with some very unpleasant physical symptoms so I'm willing to go through a little pain barrier.

I'll try and stick with it, your posts have been reassuring, hopefully it will be worth it. I'm prepared for a bad couple of weeks if I know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm booked in for full hormone testing also next week eeeeek.

Oh and I'm eating like a pig, really going to have to watch my weight with this one I think.

Thank you again ❤️

Well despite dropping to 75mg per day over the last couple of days I've had a terrible episode today started about 45 mins ago, I am
    Feeling complety manic and the 'sensitive' feeling in my brain is back ��
    I've taken 2 mg diazepam but it's not taking the edge off so going to have to take another 5mg.

I have 2 children to look after today and no respite. I really hope this passes soon.

Can either of you or anyone else advise how long your side effects lasted and if they were this intense, I know my anxiety is fuelling it also. I'm not sure what to do anymore as I told my psych I would Persevere for another week but I can't carry on like this, I keep hoping I'm past the worst and it will settle down but the sides are still intense despite dropping the dose, I'd hate to stop if feeling g the benefit was just round the corner. Urgh!!

Obviously my primary concern is making sure my kids are ok and I don't want to lose control.

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

So, I've now been advised to stop the medication after a nasty episode. My psych agrees that these are not normal side effects and the safety of
    My children is paramount.
    It's a shame as I was so hopeful about this medication. Not sure what's next, he is making an appt for CPN to visit next week and I am seeing him on 13th Feb.

Feeling disappointed, anxiety 1 me big fat zero..... Again!

What side effects were you getting I only started taking it a week ago and such a small dose but diahrea every day stabbing pains in my chest and ectopics which I haven't had for years plus feeling so strange very weird feeling if this happened with such a low dose then I don't believe that it will be right for me and don't think I could tolerate a higher dose to reach the point that it would do me some good I have been on duloxetine and never had a reaction like this just went on it and have been fine on it. Doc said if it doesn't suit then back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    Anyway, long story short I am now under peri natal mental health services and have been managing my bouts of anxiety (quite manic) with diazepam as and when. I have these episode about once a month at the moment.
    So does the diazepam do the trick? If so, why change? Dependence is unlikely to become an issue if you only take it a couple of times a month.

I've tried SSRI's in the past, seroxetine sent me straight to A and E with severe anxiety episode.
    The trick with SSRIs is to start on only a small dose, no more than 25mg for sertraline, 12.5mg would probably be even better, and to ramp it up by the same amount at weekly intervals to the initial target dose, usually 50mg for sertraline. Having a benzodiazepine to contain the fairly common initial increase in anxiety also helps.

Or you could try one of the older tricyclics class antidepressants (TCAs). They usually come in smaller dose pills relative to their typical therapeutic range and often produce fewer/less severe initial side-effects, plus they are generally easier to discontinue too. The trade-off is that they tend to have a few more ongoing side-effects, mostly nuisance ones such as dry-mouth and constipation, but these are usually manageable.

I've also raged at the kids and I hate myself for it which is making me think this may not be the miracle cure I keep reading about for anxiety
    Pregabalin is far from a "miracle cure." Mostly it's a cop out prescribed by doctors who don't want to prescribe benzodiazepines (BZDs) and think Pregabalin does the same thing, but without the dependency issues.

It does to an extent and a few do well on it. BZDs work by increasing the effectiveness of GABA receptors which admit negatively charged chlorine ions into neurons making it harder for the cells to raise their voltage to the 'firing' threshold. Pregabalin attacks it from the other angle by inhibiting the entry of positively charged calcium ions. It does work, but is generally not as effective.

Pregabalin is worth a try, and far better than the related gabapentin (Neurontin), but it is far from a first order anti anxiety med.

i started 150mg1 week ago. i dont think i have any side effects bipolar 1 so used to being smacked in the face with meds

Thread Information