Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cit to ven help

Cit to ven help

Hi all,

I've just seen my doctor and we've decided to switch me to ven. I will be cross tapering to start with since I've been on citalopram for many years so I'm not looking for any horror stories as my doctor has already told me this could be rough. Plus I've already had a rough time with dosage changes so any pep talks or tips would be appreciated.

I have not been given much information about this, should it be taken at night, with food etc (leaflet wasn't included which may be a blessing). I think I'll need to phone the dr back for more info.

Thanks

Re: Cit to ven help

Hi Debs,
    Ven worked for me on two occasions some years back when switching from other meds that were just not working.
    It was a fairly smooth transition and I can't remember any really bad times once the Ven had started to work.
    Go in there with a positive attitude and I'm sure everything will be fine.

Thanks Tony that's a really positive start, I hope I experience the same thing. I'm trying to tell myself a good bit of any side effects could just be anxiety about the switch. Fingers crossed

Hi Debs, I've been on ven for about 6 weeks now. It was added as opposed to replacing anything (I am on mirtazapine as well).

It has to be taken with food and best in the morning as with the SSRIs.

Hopefully a gentle cross taper and you won't notice anything too bad?

The ven gives me a REALLY dry mouth but other side effects haven't been too bad.

I assume you are on the extended release?

Hi Shaz,

Yes I'm on the extended release which I'm glad of since I see it has such a short half life. Amazingly I phoned my pharmacy to check the details and they said just take it whenever and you don't need to take with food! Mind you this is the same pharmacist that didn't put an information leaflet in the box! Did you have bad start up side effects?

I'm really not sure how a cross taper works whether I'll get withdrawals and start up effects?!

Because they are both serotonin meds you may not have any effects at all. Hopefully! Once ven gets up to 150mg it starts acting on noradrenaline as well, which some people have trouble with. I'm staying on 112.5 for now.

I had less start up effects on ven than when I tried sertraline and citalopram earlier in the year. Those had be in hospital twice for constant nausea, vomitting and dehydration. Never want to experience that again!

On ven I just had reduced appetite and have a bit of buzzing in my ears and some tingling in hands and feet which I've had on SSRIs in the past. And BAD dry mouth.

Oh well as unpleasant as those are I'd take them. My dr messed with my cit dosage so much I had every side effect listed so I'm hoping this will not be as bad and I have a new dr who I trust more!

Best keep the water stocked up! Are you feeling better on it?

I'm doing a bit better. Actually a lot better I suppose, but still a long way to go. I've been two weeks on my current dose and expect things to still be a bit up and down.

I just remembered another thing I experienced starting ven was quite bad dizziness in the evenings. I take my ven at lunchtime for no other reason than when I started it I was so nervous about how it would make me feel I wanted to take my dogs out first and then take the plunge. The dizziness came 5 hours after taking it and lasted about 4 hours, which is why I continued with the lunchtime taking. Dizziness mostly disappeared about 4 weeks in.

Good luck!

Thanks Shaz, do you mind if I keep in touch? It's good to know someone is experiencing the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Debs21uk View Post
    Thanks Shaz, do you mind if I keep in touch? It's good to know someone is experiencing the same thing
    Not at all. Always happy to support where I can

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information