Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 14 weeks on zoloft 50 mg

Re: 14 weeks on zoloft 50 mg

Quote Originally Posted by Comoso2 View Post
    I was awfully tempted to take .25 clonazepam this morning

Maybe ask your current psychiatrist to prescribe a small dose of hydroxyzine (Vistaril) to take instead of the clonazepam. It's a prescription antihistamine with pretty good anti anxiety properties. While not as potent as the BZDs, it is often potent enough.

*Hydroxyzine comes in two forms, hydroxyzine pamoate (Vistaril) and hydroxyzine hydrochloride (Atarax). Anecdotally, the pamoate form is supposedly the more effective anxiolytic, but just how true this is is a matter of debate.

I have generic Vistaril and propranolol that I tried before I went on sertraline, I guess I could try that tomorrow if it's tough. More than anything I need to quit feeding fear into my amygdala and making it bigger...

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

But Vistaril and sertraline show a moderate interaction on drugs.com so I've stayed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Comoso2 View Post
    But Vistaril and sertraline show a moderate interaction on drugs.com so I've stayed away.
    And if you check sertraline and clonazepam you will find exactly the same warning, almost word for word. The difference is hydroxyzine doesn't block hippocampal neurogenesis, the mechanism by which antidepressants work, whereas benzodiazepines may (Boldrini M, 2014; Sun Y, 2013; Chen J, 2009).

Many drugs interact. This doesn't mean they shouldn't be taken together, just that doses may need to be adjusted to compensate, or potential side-effects noted and precautions taken if necessary. This is the principle reason most medications are only available on prescription.

BTW, neither my prefered drug interaction checker at Medscape, or at the University of Maryland Medical Center and WebMD list any interactions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information