Thread: oral cancer!!!

oral cancer!!!

i have a hard lump under the skin on each side of my soft palate that have been there for, dull earache, swollen lymph nodes and i can't get a dentist appointment untill 2 months. My mum died from cancer and I'm terrified. Has anyone gone through something similar please I'm so afaraid.

Re: oral cancer!!!

can anyone offer me piece of mind?!

I'm an oral cancer survivor. What you describe doesn't present as OC as it doesn't present symmetrically.

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

So if you've had this for a while and it's the same, it won't be cancer as OC cancers present themselves when they're typically advanced (I was diagnosed Stage IV) and had nodes in my neck the size of golf balls. I didn't really have any other symptoms until shortly before surgery when the tumors began pressing on internal neck structures. Certainly follow through with your doctor or dentist if you need to but I'm quite sure it's not going to be anything sinister.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

You should be able to see your dentist sooner than 2 months if you say you have concerns regarding lumps or head to your GP. However the symmetry makes anything sinister unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathilda12 View Post
    i have a hard lump under the skin on each side of my soft palate that have been there for, dull earache, swollen lymph nodes and i can't get a dentist appointment untill 2 months. My mum died from cancer and I'm terrified. Has anyone gone through something similar please I'm so afaraid.
    I used to get freaked out by the weird lumps and bumps under my tongue.
    They're not even symmetrical. One is way bigger. I pursued this quite aggressively in my twenties, getting an appointment with an ENT, who didn't know what to make of the bumps but was pretty sure they weren't cancer.
    Finally- I think just to shut me up- he referred me for a head and neck CT scan with contrast dye.
    It turned out the weird lumps and bumps weren't cancerous. I never got a good answer as to what they were. The doctor said they were "natural structures" in my mouth, and had probably always been there, I just wasn't aware of them until i started poking around.
    Before the CT scan, when i thought I might have oral cancer, I had all sorts of symptoms, most notably pain in my tongue and jaw, from poking and prodding the inside of my mouth constantly.
    For some reason, I accepted the results of the CT scan without question (my health anxiety is worse now, and even medical tests rarely put my mind at ease these days; I just assume they're wrong or they overlooked something).
    Here I am twenty years later. The little lumps are still under my tongue, they never got any bigger, and they don't bother me at all, because i don't mess with them.
    Best of luck. Apparently it's possible to have weird lumps and bumps inside your mouth, and they are just "natural structures".
    The doctor did tell me that oral cancer presents most often as a sore in the mouth, rather than a hard lump.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I'm an oral cancer survivor. What you describe doesn't present as OC as it doesn't present symmetrically.

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

So if you've had this for a while and it's the same, it won't be cancer as OC cancers present themselves when they're typically advanced (I was diagnosed Stage IV) and had nodes in my neck the size of golf balls. I didn't really have any other symptoms until shortly before surgery when the tumors began pressing on internal neck structures. Certainly follow through with your doctor or dentist if you need to but I'm quite sure it's not going to be anything sinister.

Positive thoughts

Thank you! the thing is they aren't symmetrical one is larger and more sore than the other

Quote Originally Posted by Mathilda12 View Post
    Thank you! the thing is they aren't symmetrical one is larger and more sore than the other
    You're not hearing me. Regardless of size, soreness (from poking prodding no doubt) etc. It just doesn't present as you described.

As I said, certainly follow through with your doctor or dentist but I'm sure I'll be telling you "Told ya so"

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I hope so, thank you!!

Thread Information