Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This fear is taking over my life

Unhappy This fear is taking over my life

Hi everyone,
    I decided to post on here because I'm really worried and tired of not getting any answers. I'm 16 years old. So a few months ago in September, I got a colonoscopy because of a positive FOBT test and low hemoglobin. My GI did both the upper and lower scope and said everything looked beautiful. He even showed my mom photos he took during the procedure. Now, normally this would have relieved me, but I'm still worried because they didn't find a cause for the bleeding. I also have my other stomach problems, mainly gas and occasional bloating. I did another CBC blood test a few weeks ago and my hemoglobin did go up, but I'm still scared because I still see occasional blood with mucus. My parents keep telling me that everything is ok, they did the tests and everything is normal, and there's no way they are going to get me another colonoscopy. I'm trying to think positively but I can't get over the possibility that they might have missed something. Idk, what should I do? Should I keep pushing for more tests or just try to live with it and manage the pain? Also, are there any medications I can take to help with gas?
    Thanks

Re: This fear is taking over my life

I'm not so certain about medications especially as you're in the US and I'm from the UK but I can assure you that if anything was terribly sinister they'd of found it trust me, I know its very scary but pushing for more tests will only put more anxiety and stress on you in the long run, also consider your age. just try and slowly let it go and move on x
    what other symptoms are you having as well blood like what kind of pain do you get? as I might have some tips to help x

---------- Post added at 00:59 ---------- Previous post was at 00:51 ----------

Oh sorry i only just saw the part where you said it was gas and bloating lol. there are a couple of basics thing you can do like makjng sure you eat a fiber rich diet and getting enough exercise. not drinking soda or anything fizzy. don't chew gum and don't swallow too much air. try cutting down on dairy and wheat as that can cause terrible bloating.
    I am fairly certain there are stuff like anti wind/burping medication so I'd take a look around x

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Thanks so much for your reply, any help I can get is truly appreciated.

So back in September I used to get blood with mucus, it looked like red tomato skins but the FOBT test and the hemoglobin count confirmed it was blood. Now, I don't get it as much, but occasionally I do see very little blood with mucus. I think since I've been drinking a lot more veggie juice and eating more salad, my movements are usually smoother and don't have blood or mucus (that I can see). Yesterday my movements were a bit harder and I could see some very little amounts of blood with mucus. I do find that eating and drinking the vegetables help a lot with smoother movements. My most recent blood test also showed higher numbers, so hopefully I'm not bleeding as much.

Aside from that, gas is my biggest problem. I've had it since I was very young, but it seems to be getting worse. Almost anything triggers it. I struggled a lot with constipation, but that's not as much as a problem anymore because now I usually go around 2-3 times a day. But even having a bowel movement doesn't seem to help. I also do get cramps occasionally, which happens at random times throughout the day.

I just thought they would have found SOMETHING based on my symptoms, but I guess not. It seems the biggest problem for my doctors and my parents is to get it into my head that nothing is wrong me with me. My GI even listed "anxiety" as one of the causes for my colon/endoscopy. It's really difficult for me because I want to move on so bad, I want to focus on school and friends and not have to worry everyday. But it's just so hard

I understand the struggle I'm currently awake instead of sleeping because my eyelashes are molting and I'm afraid to sleep and get one in my eye(I have huge issues with things in my eyes I think I might go blind or something) but I think i'm gonna try anyway,
    what's your daily diet like? with the cramps and other symptoms I'm thinking its IBS x

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

My daily diet is nothing special, I try to eat as healthy as I can

Usually for breakfast I'll have granola or oatmeal, maybe some fruit
    I also started juicing a lot so sometimes I'll have a beet/carrot juice

For lunch I have baked veggies or a salad

Dinner I have whatever my parents make, I have been eating more beans because of the iron and protein content. I might also have a salad.

There was a period last year from around January to October when I ate really bad, lots of bagels and junk food. Since then I've been trying to eat a lot better, partly in hopes that it would make my stomach problems go away. It has helped to some degree but I still have lots of problems with gas, which seems to just be getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysscared234 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I decided to post on here because I'm really worried and tired of not getting any answers. I'm 16 years old. So a few months ago in September, I got a colonoscopy because of a positive FOBT test and low hemoglobin. My GI did both the upper and lower scope and said everything looked beautiful. He even showed my mom photos he took during the procedure. Now, normally this would have relieved me, but I'm still worried because they didn't find a cause for the bleeding. I also have my other stomach problems, mainly gas and occasional bloating. I did another CBC blood test a few weeks ago and my hemoglobin did go up, but I'm still scared because I still see occasional blood with mucus. My parents keep telling me that everything is ok, they did the tests and everything is normal, and there's no way they are going to get me another colonoscopy. I'm trying to think positively but I can't get over the possibility that they might have missed something. Idk, what should I do? Should I keep pushing for more tests or just try to live with it and manage the pain? Also, are there any medications I can take to help with gas?
    Thanks
    If they did an upper and lower scope and found nothing, I'd take comfort in that because if there was something wrong they would have found it. The obvious thing to do is take a look at your diet and address those stress levels. You said you eat a lot of beans? They produce gas. Ever seen the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles?

I mean I just started eating a lot of beans but I've been having gas problems way before that, they occur whether or not I eat beans. I know I should be glad they didn't find anything but I just can't understand how I could have been having all these symptoms and nothing showed up, not even on the biopsies. No inflammation, nothing. Then it makes me wonder if they were thorough enough, if I did the prep right, etc. and it just really stresses me out. It's gotten so bad I've had thoughts about killing myself, I almost ran out onto the street once with my parents chasing after me. It really scared them, and I can definitely see how this is affecting my whole family. My biggest problem is HA, and at times I wish I hadn't even done the FOBT in the first place. It's because of that one single test that my fears have gotten out of control.

Juicing removes the fibre from veg. That's no good.

It's boring, but a controlled healthy diet is what you need. Either speak to a dietician or research possible food types to avoid or incorporate into your diet.

Exercise is also important.

These life changes are not easy to stick to sometimes and you might not find the perfect diet straight away, but speak to your parents and they will help.

Are you getting any help for the anxiety?

I know juicing removes the fiber but usually when I juice and eat a lot more veggies I don't see blood and my bowel movements are much smoother. I actually didn't juice yesterday and ate mostly solid food with only some baked veggies and I had trouble going to the bathroom this morning, my stool was hard with mucus and bits of food in it. It seems like raw food is easier to pass through and I have less trouble with it, aside from the gas.

And yes, I have been to a few counselling sessions and I'm meeting with another psychiatrist next weekend.

It is good that you are getting someone to talk this through with. I am a big fan of talking therapy and think it helps.

I assume food allergies have been discussed and considered?
    If I had access to all this medical knowledge and awareness campaigns when I was 16 I am pretty sure I would have been just like you. It's so hard.

Try and engage your brain in more logical tasks but failing that maybe encourage your creative side... as worriers we have excellent imaginations that can lead us to all sorts of terrible conclusions so we should also be able to envisage fabulous things as well.
    Do you write? Fiction, short stories? Might help.x

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information