Thread: aa and anti depressants

aa and anti depressants

just started on citalopram again (I was on them for 6 years)... had 1o months sobriety with AA, and was told at the start I must come off my anti depressants by my sponsor so I could do the 12 steps. Now 10 monhts later I have had a relapse into depression/ anxiety.. hope the new meds work - it was wrong to take advice by someone like that. The AA group I was with are quite radical and tough - they got me sober but they often say in meetings things like "you are not sober if you take antidepressants" and "you are eating alcohol if you take antidepressants" I told my sponsor 2 weeks ago I felt the tell tale signs of clinical depression coming on and that I needed to get pfrofessional help - he said "its just your alcoholism" surely this is dangerous advice? doing a lot of crying, panicing, suicidal thoughts... taking diazapam for the short term as well just until the citalopram kicks in ... just hope it works

Re: aa and anti depressants

I know of AA and they can be quite harsh but they are not medically trained, I am not shocked by what they told you as like you said your group was quite radical. Well done on your sobriety its a hard thing to do but if anti depressents help you I don't see the harm in taking them they have nothing to do with your alcohol problems. I feel your sponsor has given you dangerous advice and you shouldn't listen to them, is there anyone else you can talk to?

Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you remember

yeah going to different AA group now much more relaxed . people there some take antidepressants too . told me given bad untrained advice. u go to aa? thanks for your reply

No I don't go to AA but I know of them, I am glad you have changed groups sounds like you will get better advice now.

I feel concerned that dangerous advice from AA could lead to someone becoming ill from stopping meds . the group I was with also instills the fear that people who leave the group are doomed - cant be a good thing

Phil,
    anti d's are NOT alcohol. I think it was dreadful advice of your sponsor.
    Many people use alcohol as a crutch because of untreated depression problems, so to say that you are not alcohol free with anti d's is ridiculous!
    I am glad you are going to a different meeting, you are doing great!

Happyone

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Like anything you get good and bad...some people seem to be "holier than thou" if I can do it why can't you! Thats thier way of trying to help I suppose. Just glad you have found a better group if you find the right one you will get the right help.

Hi Phill

Glad you are going to a different group. Just be careful that the old timers
    don't give you bad advice. Some of them can be a bit stuck in their ways. Now you have found a good group I hope you carry on doing the 12 steps. Have you found a new sponsor? It is important to find someone that you feel comfortable with and able to share.

Sheena

Question Re: aa and anti depressants

thanks for support guys ... anyone out there in AA??

Thread Information