Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't stop thinking about breathing

can't stop thinking about breathing

Hi everyone,

I used to get this problem all the time but it hasn't bothered me in years. I can't stop thinking about breathing and then I'm conscious of it and I'm freaking out that I'm going to stop breathing altogther.

I know it is silly and I won't stop breathing but it is damn distracting and it screws up my breathing and I hyperventiliate a little bit which makes the problem worse. Anyone have any advice? It makes it hard to fall asleep.

Thanks

Montos

Re: can't stop thinking about breathing

I have this to, it was really bad last night and took me ages to get to sleep to only wake up an hour later for it to start all over again.

Sorry can't be of any help

Hi Montos, I too have this problem, always constantly aware of my breathing, and when I get out of breath even like walking up stairs ( think its the thought taht when I get to the top, my heart will be beating a bit faster) which then my chest goes tight then I start to panic and sometimes this develops into a panic attack, it is horrible and very scary. The thing I have started doing is distracting myself when the breathing seems to be going funny, like talking to my dog lol, or playing games on my phone, this is hard but if you try and not keep your mind to much on it, it will start to lesson. Take care Julie

Hiyer ! I had this only last night, so can relate to what you are referring to. Do you become very aware of your breathing, and it almost becomes like you are 'making' every breathe happen, as if you are having to work hard at breathing and that if you don't then you will stop breathing ? The trouble with this breathing thing is that it is an automatic bodily response to breathe, just as it is for the heart to beat, it functions without you being conscious of it functioning. By becoming so aware of it you remove the automatic nature of it and instead of allowing your body to just get on with involuntary breathing, you try and make it an action you are in control of. If a child having a tantrum holds their breathe indefinitely, then the worst that can happen is that they faint and as soon as they do their body starts automatically breathing again !

As soon as you forget about it, your body will take over as it should do and continue as normal. I find distraction works well, such as counting or focusing on something else that really demands you concentrate.

Carys, that's exactly what I mean and the distraction thing worked well all day. At night inn bed is always a different story.
    I guess I just need to get "bored" of this particular obsession and it will pass.

Montos, I have had this since I am 9 years old on and off. Am now pretty old :-) It comes and goes during periods of higher anxiety for us and according to my old therapist, is THE most common fixation that peole with anxiety have. There is a theory that we try to control something and this is ne thing we can attempt to control. Who knows if that is true, but for me and everyone I know, this comes and goes. We find one thing to focus on, as you can see on this board, everyone has a particular, or many focuses.

It is a way of keeping us from focusing on what REALLY is bothering us. I recomment John Sarno's books to everyone Even though they're about pain, he believes that this is also a psychologically caused thing to distract us from what's really going on in our lives.

The other posters said what I was giong to say...the automic nervous system works for us...a dog does not stop breating, nor any other animal. I am also afraid that I will knock my breathing rhythm off, faint from it and every other imaginable consequence but it never happened! The trick is, don't get upset about it. Just know that we all have vivid imaginations, do try to get to the root of what may be bothering you. Just try to have a "so what" attitude toward the breathing thing instead of "what if?" I wish you the best!

Do you have 'control' issues?

I do, and sometimes it can be hard to just 'let things happen'. Breathing is under the influence of the brain, 'we' don't need to get involved. The theory is easy but I understand that it's not always that easy.

Hi

I have a lot of problems with my breathing at the moment too - constant deep breaths, sighing and yawning, clearing my throat and coughing too.

My chest and upper back and neck ache too and I feel light headed. It really is horrible and a hard thing to snap out of once you start thinking about it!!

I hope you are feeling better soon.

xx

Align probiotic. Promise you're not crazy. Bugs can put your brain into a hyper mode. Scary I know

Whenever you TRY to breathe apparently it's automatically harder. It's like TRYING to walk. It's an automatic thing but if you started thinking your leg is heavy or weak, it would be harder to walk. Anxiety does this to me all the time. It's the same deal with breathing. That why the best remedy is distraction because the body is capable of breathing on its own. When I consciously try to breathe I feel more out of breath. What helps me is to start singing or reading a book out loud. It will distract you, reassure you that you have breath and it stops you focusing on your breathing because it goes back to normal.
    Do it afraid. All fear is but the notion that God's love ends. "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy." Psalm 94:19

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information