Thread: Really struggling, waiting for smear results

Really struggling, waiting for smear results

Ok, as post says. I've been doing great, right up until I New my smear was coming up. I got the letter over a month ago, and to be honest I'd already worked myself up as I New it was coming. Anyway, had my smear two weeks ago and not been doing too bad (well not too bad for me anyway). I have my little panicky moments but last night could feel the dread building and today I've worked myself up into a state, crying out of sheer panic. I dreading the results. Just feel like I can't cope today. All other smears have come back normal so of course I'm convinced this one won't. I've tired now from crying and worrying. Wish I was normal :(

Re: Really struggling, waiting for smear results

Hi it's horrible waiting for results. I was in the same boat waiting for mine a few weeks ago. I haven't got any advice to help with the waiting but the fact that you've had clear results in the past is good I hope that your wait isn't too long and you get good results again

Hey, I know it is easier said than done, but please please try not to worry.

My first smear aged 19 came back borderline changes, I had one early as my mother, grandmother and 2 aunts had cervical cancer. (They are all alive and well currently... aside from my grandma but she died some 45 years later of an unrelated illness). A while later my cells had moved to CIN I (mild changes) and then at 24 I was at CIN II (moderate changes). I then got pregnant and was such a mess, thinking that after my baby was born I would have full blown cancer. Anyway at my 12 post partum smear it was all clear!

I have had numerous smears, colposcopies and biopsies and have only ever had one clear result. My gynaecologist explained to me that even at CIN III, severe changes, a very small percent of those ladies I'll go on to get cervical cancer.

You have had clear results, the chance of you jumping to CIN I, II or III is very small and the chance of you having cancer is miniscule. If in the very highly unlikely event that you had cancer, it would be in the early stages and so highly treatable. But you wont have it. Nothing bad will happen to you! Just keep up with your smears, just for peace of mind. Once you get your clear result back you will feel so much better.

I understand that just the CHANCE of it happening is enough to set our anxiety off, but I really, truly believe you will be okay. I would bet the lives of my children on it.

Just try and take a day at a time, remind yourself that you are going to be fine, you'll be okay. The problem is your anxiety and not cancer. I know how scary it is believe me, you may not believe me, but you can rise above it.

All of my love xxx

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

Also, you should research the cervical cancer vaccine. We can have them as adults, we just have to pay xx

after I had my baby for about 6weeks, I got my smear and result is inconclusive. My Gyn said nothing to worry, retest in 2 months. i suffered greatly in that 2 months (my baby was just born. i couldn't believe that she would be without her momma). next one came all clear. 1 year later, another one was clear. Now i'm back to every 3 years.

as a woman we have to go through this, but technology and screening are so advance now that any problem will be caught early and easily treated. Hope to hear good news from you soon.

Thanks for your replies. I know everyone hates waiting for results. I have been doing OK the all of a sudden this absolute dread washes over me. The things you start imagining are awful. I have read up on smears and been on a forum, I did this because I didnt want to google as we all know what happens when we do that. Thank you again its good to know Im not alone with these thoughts

Well I gave in and rang the doctors today to see if results were in not expecting them to be but they were. Receptionist said yes they are back Negative & Normal and 3 year recall. I could sing! thank you so much for your replies and being there when I needed it

Thread Information