Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone taken metronidazole before?

Question Anyone taken metronidazole before?

If so, which dosage and what side effects, if any, did you experience?

I saw the out-of-hours dentist earlier and she precribed these to me :(

I am terrified of taking new pills.

Re: Anyone taken metronidazole before?

I am currently taking metronidazole 200mg with ammoxicillin 500mg. Had all my wisdom teeth taken out last week and ended up with an infection. First day or so was fine but now getting a few side effects. Slightly dizzy, headache and IBS style stomach cramps. But not bad enough to come off them. I have heard they are quite strong so not really suprised. One thing though don't drink any alcohol with them or for 3 days after you finish your course. Also I found that if i take them halfway through a meal it seems better.

Hope you feel better soon. Much better you take them than leave an infection.

Horrid drugs Piers - make me feel crap every time I take them.

Sorry I can't be positive but even my GP said that she hates prescribing them cos some people (like me) do react badly to them.

As mwone said do NOT touch alcohol for a few days either side of taking them as it will make you very ill! They give these to alcoholics to stop them drinking cos it makes them so sick if they do.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks for the replies, luckily I dont touch alcohol anyway (none for 5 years now) so that shouldnt be an issue but I am still finding it hard to take them, I want to force myself but cant :(

I was only given 9 pills lol, 3x400mg for 3 days. I took erythramycin before and had 0 side effects, but I know these are different.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Horrid drugs Piers - make me feel crap every time I take them.
    What side effects did you have?

anyone else have any ideas? I want to take these but dont know how i can :(

I felt really dizzy and grotty and a bit sick and when I was on them in hospital my mum said I changed instantly I had them (via a drip) and was really miserable, irritable, grumpy and down.

I can tolerate some antibiotics but not these - they were evil.

I am not helping much am I lol.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I felt really dizzy and grotty and a bit sick and when I was on them in hospital my mum said I changed instantly I had them (via a drip) and was really miserable, irritable, grumpy and down.

I can tolerate some antibiotics but not these - they were evil.

I am not helping much am I lol.
    Thank you for the honesty, I appreciate it. Sitting here crying now no idea what to do.

Hi uk23,

I have taken these antibiotics and felt a bit groggy on them in terms of a bit sick, but found that it helped when I took them with food. They are a strong antibiotic but it was better than the pain I was in with the infection following a tooth extraction.

Claire

Part of me is thinking not to take them, I am scared either way, if I dont take them the infection could spread which means more antibiotics but if I do take them I could have the side effects and horrible allergic reaction (I seem to with quite a lot of antibiotics, especially all in the penicillin family).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information