Thread: Worried by stroke-like symptoms and non-diagnosis

Worried by stroke-like symptoms and non-diagnosis

Posted on the 'symptoms' forum some time ago but getting increasingly concerned now. Four weeks ago I had a sudden massive pain up the left side of my neck and my tongue/throat seemed to be paralysed for a few seconds. My left hand went numb. I was alarmed enough to go to hospital and they said I may have had a mini stroke but then on discharge they said it was most unlikely as I am only 41, fit-ish and don't smoke etc etc.....
    There were no neurological indicators of any problem, although they didn't do a head scan. Blood pressure etc all fine.
    I am, admittedly, a very anxious/stressed person.
    Since then I have had, on and off, massive pressure in my head (like someone is pressing down really hard on me most of the time - not like an 'ache'), stabblng pains in ear and eye, random pains (including prickly) in shoulder, numbness and pain in both arms, twitches in parts of my body and repeated constrictions of the throat, where I feel it is hard to swallow and that my tongue isn't working properly. I feel spaced out and fuzzy, like I am not functioning properly, and have to think harder to do simple things like type a letter.
    I feel like my vision is distorted, too, but had an eye test and he couldn't see anything wrong.
    I then started to feel so faint/ill at work a week or so ago that I was taken to hospital. They detained me and did a CT scan (clear)...but while other symptoms have since eased slightly, the head pressure and throat/tongue constrictions continue.
    They seemed vague as to whether I might have had a stroke or not but at least two doctors mentioned anxiety to me. But to me that's the easy way out for them when they don't know.
    I really need to know and am treading on eggshells. Could all these symptoms really be anxiety???
    Hope you can help?

Re: Worried by stroke-like symptoms and non-diagnosis

may be anxiety- you have all the symptoms and the way you describe it all points to you being very anxious about these sensations. There is a type of migraine that can cause stroke like symptoms also . I think you are stressing though and this makes them worse. Take care x

Thread Information