Thread: Reducing cortisol

Reducing cortisol

hi,

I've been quite stressed and anxious for the last 3 years or so. I have subsequently had several health problems related to poor immune function. one of them being precancerous cells. I am concerned that my anxiety is impairing my immunity. I don't smoke, don't drink much, eat fairly healthly, exercise a bit and take a multivitamin supplement, i don't even drink caffeine except occasionally in green tea .

I have tried meditation to reduce the stress, but it has not really worked. I'm not on any kind of medication either.

i'm concerned about the long-term effect of high stress hormones on my body. If i assume my stress levels aren't going to drop in the foreseeable future (i'm writing up my phd and looking for a job! ) .

does anyone know of any supplements etc that could reduce the effect of these hormones on the body?

love jess xxx

Re: Reducing cortisol

From what I have been reading. You want to avoid foods with high glycemic index. I think that means foods with high levels of simple surgars. I'm still looking into it, but seems grains and starches are high glycemic. Fruits and veggies are balanced and meats or animal proteins are low. They say that sweetened cereals in the morning will jack up your cortisone levels all day and even all night. They suggest you can balance any starches or grains with an equal amount of animal protein.

Stay away from processed sugars, like candy and sodas, completely.

Also exercise will burn off cortisol. About an hour walk a day at least.

And since cortisone is produced by the body in response to stress, avoiding it if you can or at least reducing it will help a lot.

Hope that helps
    Eric

Thread Information