Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chest infection that hasn't improved after 48 hours of antibiotics

Re: Chest infection that hasn't improved after 48 hours of antibiotics

Quote Originally Posted by macc noodle View Post
    Just let the antibiotics do their stuff - you say that you are feeling improved apart from the cough.

Well the cough will take a while to go because the phlegm that has built up with the infection has to go somewhere - some will go south and some will end up being coughed up.

It can take weeks to get rid of a cough from a nasty infection -you need to not be so impatient and reassess the situation once the antibiotics are finished.

In the meantime you need to drink lots of fluids (to help break up the phlegm as well as keeping you hydrated), keep warm and rest.

It will get better - it just takes time and all this constant winding yourself up over it will only slow down the healing process. Try and relax.

Macc Noodle
    Thanks Macc Noodle.

I tend to worry alot about my health (of course) Its the crackling thats worrying me as I've never had anything similar. And the pain its giving me from coughing....

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

I started getting an annoying cough at the end of March which developed into something more serious when I noticed a heavy cackling sound when I was breathing. I went to my GP in the uk who prescribed me a course of amoxicillin 250, 3 pills a day. I started this on Tuesday lunchtime. I left the uk on the following Monday morning and by mistake left the last day and half of pills behind. My cough had not really got much better by then. I visited a GP in Oman on Tuesday morning and explained the situation and he prescribed me some more amoxicillin with cal (something) 1gm 2 x a day. I finished that course almost 10 days ago and still have a chesty cough blocked nose and my temp varies from normal to 38. Basilica lily I have had this thing for almost a month now with no real improvements.

It can take a cough several weeks to disappear after the infection is gone.

I'm just recovering from pneumonia. I thought the cough would never end but after 13 days it is getting there. I had antibiotics and steroids. A lot of bronchitis and pneumonia is viral so the antibiotics don't do much and you have to let it run it's course. X I know that's easier said than done though. I hope you feel better soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information