Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long term Citalopram Use

Long term Citalopram Use

Hi there
    I was wondering if anyone else on here takes ssri meds long term? I have suffered with several bouts of anxiety over the years and have taken Citalopram for nearly 8 years! I tapered off them at the beginning of the year and was doing well. However following a health scare I am now suffering anxiety again. My doc has put me back on the Citalopram 10mg 1 week, then 20mg for three weeks. I thought I was getting there but the last few days has been worse than ever. Despite this my doc says they have always worked in the past and will again. I suppose what I am trying to ask is if anyone has found that the citalopram can take so long to work? Also I feel such an oddity having to take these pills long term. They have helped but everyone I know who has used them only seem to take them for a few months and then are fine!
    Thanks

Re: Long term Citalopram Use

I've been on mirtazapine for 6 years. Have had other meds added too. I'm likely to be on it for the foreseeable. If it's still working I don't think there's a long term problem.

Hi

I have been taking Citalopram for 8 years on and off now also. I have had spells of 6 months where i have been off them but always ended back on them again(i think i had stopped them too quickly in the past) i have come to the conclusion now that if a tablet a day gives me a better quality of life then so be it, but im hoping to try and cut down slowly again and see how things go.

Hugs

Andrea
    xxxx

Hiya,

I have been on Citalopram 10mg for about 9 years now apart from a 6 month break.
    I ended up starting them again after my anxiety kicked off again without them, and I found it did take them about 6 weeks to start working for me again.

I now think if a 10mg pill a day keeps my anxiety and panic attacks at bay then sod it I will take them forever, if I had high blood pressure and needed meds for it daily then I wouldn't think twice about it so why should taking a SSRI be any different if it is helping you have a better standard of living

Take care

Trac xxx
    People change, Things go wrong,
    I just remembered...Life Goes On

yes i agree with trac, if you have found a med that works then go for it, if it means taking it for a lifetime then why not ?
    I just wish i could find something that helps, I was given saroxat but after reading all the scarey stories on here Im feeling so fed up, too scared to try it now .

Its not easy is it , I said to my hubby I dont care if i get dependant on drugs if they work, that is how desperate i feel.

i was on seroxat for 8 years and wasfine to whole time, when i came off the trouble began. the anxiety started again after 3 months and when i started again i had severe side effects and in didnt work again, a common problem and no other meds have worked since,

Moral of the story, if it suits you keep taking it as all hell can break loose if you stop. i just thought if the anxiety starts up i'll just go back on, never in my wildest dreams did i think it would work again.

I wish everyday I'd never stopped

Love Joy

Cool Re: Long term Citalopram Use

Quote Originally Posted by flatterycat View Post
    Hi there
    I was wondering if anyone else on here takes ssri meds long term? I have suffered with several bouts of anxiety over the years and have taken Citalopram for nearly 8 years! I tapered off them at the beginning of the year and was doing well. However following a health scare I am now suffering anxiety again. My doc has put me back on the Citalopram 10mg 1 week, then 20mg for three weeks. I thought I was getting there but the last few days has been worse than ever. Despite this my doc says they have always worked in the past and will again. I suppose what I am trying to ask is if anyone has found that the citalopram can take so long to work? Also I feel such an oddity having to take these pills long term. They have helped but everyone I know who has used them only seem to take them for a few months and then are fine!
    Thanks
    Hi ..
    I had a motorcycle accident in 1994 and received a minor head injury..and approx 1 week after the accident i suffered a massive Panic Attack for no reason...i really thought i was going to die..the Doc gave me Prozac which i stayed on for about 6 months and helped..i thought i was o.k. and stopped taking Prozac..i gradually went down-hill feeling depressed and started taking Panic Attacks..Doc put me on 20mg Citalopram which started working after 1 wk.(i had to take Diazepam as well because Panics were so bad)...i have been on Ciitalopram for about 12yrs now and am nearly always dizzy,tired,started getting heart palputations and if i was to run 100yards am very breathless ..and i sometimes take a Panic Attack when i become breathless..I am trying to come off these tabs as i am convinced these have done my overall health harm..i used to be very fit..now i cant train in case i become breathless and take a Panic Attack..
    Bikerman..

hi - sorry - i don't agree with the reference to taking an antidepressant is like taking a blood pressure tablet - i used to think this but anxiety is a normal reaction that has got out of control and you can improve naturally if you deal with it the right way - e.g. acceptance etc. i too used to think ssris were lifesavers but not now that i know much more about anxiety. taking long term medication is not ideal for anyone - all drugs have side effects. i have developed stomach problems and recently read that taking citalopram is like taking a daily asprin and can lead to stomach bleeding etc so they are not to be taken lightly - however - i agree that quality of life needs to be weighed up against the risks.

Quote Originally Posted by mirry View Post
    yes i agree with trac, if you have found a med that works then go for it, if it means taking it for a lifetime then why not ?
    I just wish i could find something that helps, I was given saroxat but after reading all the scarey stories on here Im feeling so fed up, too scared to try it now .

Its not easy is it , I said to my hubby I dont care if i get dependant on drugs if they work, that is how desperate i feel.

I took Saroxat for several years and it was one of the best anti depressants I have tried, I wouldnt listen to all the scarey stories as it effects everybody differently.
    Being medicated for depression is a must or your quality of life can go downhill rapidly without you even realising it.
    I have suffered from depression from the age of 15 and have been on and off antidepressants all my life ( Im 32 so not that old really ).

I have been through periods in my life where I didnt want to take medication and thought I could battle through and train my mind to think differently. As a result I hit rock bottom and couldnt even see that the person I used to be totally dissapeared. My friends and family stepped in when I started shutting everyone out and became unsociable and completely irrational/ paranoid they told me I had to go to the doctors and go on antidepressants again.

I have been on Citalopram for seven years, my doctor told me I shouldnt be on them long term so I came off them around christmas because my life is great and I have no problems or stresses at the moment.

I have now started having irrational thoughts, crying alot, having nightmares, have such bad anxiety that I feel sick and cant breath at times, I have an upset stomach alot because Im so tence and my stomach is in knots so I have to force myself to eat.
    One minute I feel fine and happy and I think oh its all ok i can do this then the next minute when im on my own I want to burst in to tears?

Im not willing to let this get out of control again and have a bad quality of life, my doctor gave me the wrong advice and should have seen that through my past records and history, if im on antidepressants for the rest of my life so be it, im not willing to be half the person I am just so I can say im not medicated.

xxx

I'm in the trac67 camp now, will take it for a couple of years at least. I am at 10mg.

I read an entire book dealing with cognitive therapy. I decided it was not for me. Anxiety seems to be a chemical imbalance in my case. I can avoid the situations if I quite working and get rid of all stress in life and start swimming daily. But for now, work goes on, citalopram goes on.

I could actually deal with the panic attack itself once in a while, but as it happens only when I am driving, I have a slightly increased danger of crashing the car before I can get off the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information