Thread: Asbestos fears

Asbestos fears

So glad to find these forums and would really appreciate any information. We had a crysotile garage roof (has been tested) at the end of our drive about 15 ft from our kitchen. It was in fair condition but was an eyesore and the garage had some gaps in the walls so we decided to give it a revamp.
    Two issues are worrying me -

We emptied the garage in preparation for roof removal. We took out everything and used a dustpan brush to clear cobwebs and dust out of some buckets, shelves, clear old paint pots of cobwebs and dust before carrying them out. All fine I thoughts as roof intact. We did not touch roof at all. Near the end of the job I noticed a 3 inch crack I could see sky through, so a slither missing. It looked a bit crumbly but not exactly brand new. It was a damp day, a bit rainy. Do you think we were worryingly exposed?

Second, we employed professionals to remove. They seemed good. Wore masks, overalls, said low risk asbestos. I didn't see any panels break and they double bagged etc. They swept up debris. It looked very clean when done.
    Now, 2 weeks later, I realised there is a vent into our kitchen which blows open as it catches the breeze easily. It's about 18 foot from garage and must be 10/12 feet up. I'm panicking! Would free fibres make it through that vent, then through the extractor fan sitting above my hob?

Really grateful to anyone reading this. I need to establish how much risk my family were at so I can accept it and move on. It just goes round and round my head wondering if we're ok.

Thank you

Re: Asbestos fears

Does anyone know where I could post these questions to get some advice? So worried ��

I've been through the asbestos fear! The people who did the removal are professionals, and as such would be aware of any vulnerabilities/vents that existed when they did the work. I think the best place to turn if you're worried about that issue would be to just call the company that did it and ask them. Explain the location of the vent and ask if there is anything you need to be worried about in terms of contamination into your home.

But, also, exposure to small amounts of asbestos over a short period of time isn't of much concern. It's long term/high concentration exposure that leads to increased cancer risks. Even if some of it did get into your home, the risk to your family would be minimal. But, to ease your mind I would call and get your questions asked. I think they are fair questions.

Thank you Erin. Trying not to stress

I also have debilitating asbestos fears and have done a considerable amount of research some of which I'm hoping might help you. I'm not an expert, but this is what I've read that relates to your situation.

1. There is some evidence that chrysotile does not cause mesothelioma at all, all cases that have been documented are those where other types of asbestos could have been breathed in also. One study of chrysotile miners (who must have been exposed to way more than in your scenario) actually showed they had a lower incidence mesothelioma than the average population.

2. Even among those who do think it can cause mesothelioma they agree that it it 1/100th as dangerous as the other sorts of asbestos.

3. Breaking asbestos cement (which I'm presuming was the material involved here, being a roof) releases about 0.08fibres/ml of air according to guidelines. Even if you were to live 24 hrs a day in an environment where asbestos cement boards were being continuously broken like that for a year your exposure would be 0.08f/ml.yr. The risk associated with this level is listed by Mesothelioma experts Hodgson and Darnton as being "probably insignificant", they didn't even allocate it a score. The highest arguable risk is 4:100,000, less than you take driving to work, or the shops.

4. The calculations above don't even take into account removal by air changes, which, in a normal building would see the air almost completely changed every couple of hours. Since the only fibres we're concerned about are the ones that are in the air, they can only be there for a couple of hours at most (either all in one go, or spread out over a number of disturbances), so you only have a couple of hours of actual exposure before the stuff clears and as above you could spend a year like that and not have any more than an "insignificant" risk, if any.

I know all this information doesn't completely work because I know it and I still have asbestos fears, but you might as well eliminate what you can. In your situation I can't see how enough fibres could have entered your breathing zone for long enough to pose any significant risk.

Thank you so much for writing that reply to me. I really appreciate it!
    I didn't know those risk figures and do take comfort from it. I have been busy rationalising and reasoning with my fears, and challenging negative thoughts with positive outcomes. Like you say, wind/ air movement, apart from the crack, there were no breakages at all that I saw on removal, it did appear to be done carefully (from observing from a window!).
    I started really dwelling on air getting in through the vent to the extraction fan. As it was a bit windy then asbestos must have got in with the wind flipping the vent open leading to a contaminated kitchen .... to thinking ... a bit windy means asbestos dispersal, less risk, I don't know that the vent opened, and if it did I question whether the asbestos really could get through an extractor fan, and make it to my kitchen air through probably greasy components. Surely the experts would cover all vents near as normal practise if it's risky.
    I am a month in on citalopram which is definitely helping.
    You are so kind to share that information. I will definitely re read that when I feel worried. The last thing I want to do is google for information!

I'm glad the figures gave your some comfort. Google can be our worst enemy sometimes, but once I've started finding out the data (which I should probably never have done in the first place) I find the only way out of it is to finish the job properly. The information telling us that the the real risk is small is usually in there somewhere, you just have to trawl through a lot of scary rubbish to get there.

Well done for sticking with the process of challenging your negative thoughts. Just remember that whatever might have made it through the vent to your kitchen air would be too small a concentration to do you any harm even if it were there for a year, and would be cleared by normal air changes within a couple of hours anyway. I should also mention (before your mind goes there, as mine did) that any which lands on surfaces has to overcome electrostatic friction in order to be re-released into the air which tests have shown reduces the concentration by a factor of 1/100,000th!

I'm glad the medicine is helping, but don't underestimate the contribution of your own efforts to making you feel better, I'm sure your improvement is as much to do with your own hard work combating these negative thoughts. Keep it up.

Thank you, that all makes perfect sense to me. It's true that a little googling is dangerous, but thorough research with a mind hearing all the information, not leaping on the negatives, is best.
    I'm continuing little steps forward. Your support has been great. So glad I posted. I will refer to these posts when/ if I need which is brilliant to have. It's so valuable to hear from people who 'get it', I don't feel so alone

Thread Information