Thread: Doctor gave me this, but...

Doctor gave me this, but...

Hello.
    I've been seeing my doctor to break free of my diazepam addiction, that followed since I've stopped drinking. He has prescribed me fluoxetine before, and I kept telling him that I didn't need it. (It made me feel really down) Now, to break free of my current addiction, he gave me more of fluoxetine, I insisted that I'm not depressed or anxious (I'm really not, but used to be). He said: "Give it a go, it will ease your desire for more diazepam."
    Now, this hellspawn of a medication is making me lose weight, eat less, sleep more, lazy and even making me depressed and anxious. Should I just stop taking? (10 mg/day) Or wait for the next appointment this next week?
    Thanks.

Re: Doctor gave me this, but...

I have no idea why fluox would be prescribed to help with addiction, unless you have been assessed as depressed or anxious? Others may know more about it.

10 mg is only a low dose and if the side effects are intolerable you may choose to stop it. If it's only been a few days you can just stop.

How much diazepam are you on? It's certainly possible to come off it, slowly, with guidance.Maybe just focus on that?

Re: Doctor gave me this, but...

Quote Originally Posted by whydoctorswhy View Post
    Hello.
    Welcome to No More Panic

He said: "Give it a go, it will ease your desire for more diazepam."
    This is very unlikely.

Should I just stop taking? (10 mg/day) Or wait for the next appointment this next week?
    Thanks.
    It is your choice whether you stop taking fluoxetine, but it is almost certainly not capable of doing what your doctor claims. I'd also find another doctor if possible.

I recommend quitting diazepam by reducing the dose by 1-2mg every 3-4 weeks until you are down to the final 2mg and then reduced it in 0.5mg steps. This is slow, but should keep any withdrawal symptoms at tolerable levels.

Thread Information