Thread: Would I know if I had leukemia?

Would I know if I had leukemia?

I hate when my brain does this to me!

This is probably the sixteenth time in two years I thought I had leukemia. The reason being, I am getting bruises. The reason I am worried is because someone I know had leukemia and it was cured rather quickly which was good, but I remember having this intrusive thought like "if God takes away his leukemia he can give it to you"

Now I don't really believe in God as much as I used to, but I guess my anxiety still uses him as a way to tell me that something is the end all be all and he has control over the earth per say. So this really frightened me.

Now I've had two bruises on my legs in the past two weeks (one healed), I had a blister on my toe that doesn't seem to be healing sometimes when I wake up I'm nauseous and I'm back to prodding my lymph nodes all day long.

I had a blood test last year, when I went to the doctor last a nurse told me I was really pale but it turned out I had the flu and I feel like I've been obsessing about my skin tone since.

Re: Would I know if I had leukemia?

The only way you will know if you have leukemia is to see a doctor. Bruising easy can be caused by a multitude of things. See your doctor. Tell them about your bruising and any other symptoms you feel are relevant. Then listen with an open mind and express your fears if you feel they are not addressed. That's all you can do. Feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo0977 View Post
    The only way you will know if you have leukemia is to see a doctor.
    While it's true that the only way you'll know is through seeing a doctor and testing, one must take into account that the OP has thought they had this illness 16 times in the last two years! That's once every month and a half over the last two years! How many doctor visits and tests were done during that time? Since this is another post about it, I would safely assume the OP doesn't have it. Now? A couple of bruises? Really?

Yes, see the doctor but not for leukemia fears. See the doctor to address those fears and the anxiety it causes.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    While it's true that the only way you'll know is through seeing a doctor and testing, one must take into account that the OP has thought they had this illness 16 times in the last two years! That's once every month and a half over the last two years! How many doctor visits and tests were done during that time? Since this is another post about it, I would safely assume the OP doesn't have it. Now? A couple of bruises? Really?

Yes, see the doctor but not for leukemia fears. See the doctor to address those fears and the anxiety it causes.

Positive thoughts
    If the OP has already been dissuaded from this diagnosis and continues to hold onto it regardless then I completely agree with you.

I have at least 5 bruises on my legs at any given time. One time I had around 13 and had the same worry as you. I was specifically told "Leukemia doesn't present this way" by my GP. Mine were all around fingertip size, I'm sure I've read they'd be massive bruises if it was due to leukemia and you certainly wouldn't have just 2 over the course of 2 weeks.

A complete bood count would show signs of leukemia, so if you're really concerned go get some more blood work done. But from what you describe sounds more like anxiety more than anything. We all get bruises, sometimes you bump your leg on something and just don't remember, it doesn't take a hard bump to make a bruise. I knew a woman who had leukemia, she felt like she came down with the flu, and she said it lasted a long time and didn't seem to be getting any better, she went to the er and they did blood work and tolf her that they suspected leukemia so they sent her to another hospital, where they confirmed her diagnoses, she began treatment, and was cured.

I get bruises & just put them down to being busy & clumsy! However God works I don't think its quite like that although I get why you feel the way you do. Very best wishes xx

Thread Information