Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magnesium and Anxiety

Re: Magnesium and Anxiety

3 days on, and the physical symptoms are much improved, which is really a relief since they were causing anxiety in themselves.
    I'm still feeling really ropey mentally, but won't be able to give a clear answer on if they improve that side of things since I restarted citalopram.

A few important notes

- You MUST AVOID magnesium asparate and glutamate, these will make your mental health worse
    - be very careful to not take too much, you will get diarrhea at a certain point and this will cause your mental health to worsen
    I don't come here that often, but searched this thread. As a chemist I must point out that there is no evidence to this. Those are all well absorbed forms of magnesium. Once absorbed, all salts go to the same in the blood stream. The aspartate by itself may be another thing. But you eat all kinds of stuff, everything has some aspartic acid except bleached flour.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartic_acid

Glutamic acid, and magnesium glutamate are two things to avoid
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid
    if you react to Chinese of Japanese food with it. Most people do not.

Mg oxide is cheapest, but may give diarrhea at the doses where it is effective.

There is a book on Magnesium in Amazon. Read if interested.

I took this for 20 odd days but didn't notice any difference in myself. It was magnesuim citrate i think. Maybe I didn't take it long enough.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Probably no effect on you. some people have low magnesium due to some food absorption or other related issue. It does in fact cause anxiety then.

Take a suppliment, if you're low on anything it can cause you anxiety!
    Even being slightly dehydrated can make you more anxious

I'm taking magnesium malate which I bought online. I couldn't stand the magnesium oxide at all (it made me run to the toilet asap) but I can handle the malate pretty well.

Natural Calm, available in orange flavour - lovely!! The standard stuff was too metallic for me to take for very long!
    I am convinced that this cured my heart arrythmea, and has helped subsequently with my anxiety symptoms. That and Valerian root.

I do take the chelated magnesium now. Have been on the oxide, low dose a while. The diarrhea is only temporary in most cases.

Only problem is for me to test it. My anxiety deals with a phobia and of course I avoid the phobia situation as much as possible.

So study of one so far inconclusive. Possibly some placebo effect. Also take low dose zinc, 30mg.

My phobia, driving, has been better a couple of days, maybe 3. I don't expect to be cured. I still get quite anxious in dark and in bad weather. Chelated magnesium is the only new thing for two weeks.

As I understand it, Magnesium Oxide is the least well absorbed of Magnesium types and therefore results in wasted money and opportunity. It results in diarrhea and little to no benefit.

Magnesium Taurinate or Glycinate(with Taurine) are better absorbed. Magnesium Chloride - found in Magnesium Oil is best absorbed and avoids most of the gastro disturbances.

Glutamate or Asparate may make symptoms worse.....read what George Eby says here : http://george-eby-research.com/html/....html#nutshell

Personally, I used Magnesium Bisglycinate(150mg) from Holland and Barrett - which was good, but I found Carlsons Chelated Magnesium(200mg) far more effective.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information